Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I just changed to AT&T internet, using a BGW210-700 router. I changed the SSID to a different name through the Home Manager app, and I noticed that both the 2.4 MHz and the 5 MHz wireless connections are using the same name and password that I changed it too. I can't find a feature on the router's homepage nor on the smart home manager app that will let me change only one of the broadcasting signal's names. My HP 8625 wireless printer is connected to the wifi using the common name and password, and looking at the router's home page it shows as a 2.4 MHz connection, whereas other devices are connected to the 5 MHz network. I have no idea why different devices hooked up to the 2.4 vs. the 5, or vice versa. Seems like the devices knew where to connect without my influence. All of that said, my printer shows that it is hooked up to the router over the 2.4 MHz network, and the printer shows up on every device and shows "online" or "default" in the status. You would think it would print at this point.  When I try to send a print job through (or get on the printers home page) it will time out on my device while it tries to make a connection. If the printer does end up printing something we send over, it takes a long time and often never happens. Can anyone tell me what is going on?

My intuition tells me that the 2.4 MHz connection is correct for the printer, but I need to get the name changed so that the 5 MHz connection isn't somehow interfering. Or that could be all wrong and I have no idea.

Right now almost nothing is making it through, to include test pages.

I hope that made sense.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Support Community.

Spoiler
My HP 8625 wireless printer is connected to the wifi

Is the wireless LED Blinking or Solid?  It should be solid if it's connected.

You may need to change the 2.4 and 5GHz network to differentiate between the two.

Try to key in this IP address http://192.168.1.254/ into the Chrome browser (or Internet browser), it should bring up the Embedded Web Server page for your router for your to change settings.

This resource shows how to connect the printer to the network using the front panel (restore network defaults first).

Connecting a printer using Wireless Setup Wizard  (OLD UI)

Restore Network Defaults at Time 45 secs

Once it's connected, install the FULL featured software.

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. The video did nothing. I got more useful information from the ATT forum where i posted the same question. The "Band Steering" feature of the router needed to be turned off; essentially you have to get into the router's controls and differentiate between the 2.4 Mhz network and the 5 MHz network in order to ensure that the HP printer stays on the 2.4, not the 5 (I found that tidbit in another HP forum) and then the computers that are sending the print job needs to be on the same network. It's pretty easy to toggle your computer between networks nowadays, so we just have to do that in order to print. One last observation, I run a mac and it picked up seamlessly once I had the computer and printer both on the 2.4 network. My wife has a PC with windows 10, and we had to uninstall the printer and re-install it once they were on the same network in order to make it print. Hope this helps anyone in the future. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.