Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 5055
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After my Lenovo laptop updated to Windows 10 version 1903 build 18362.418, I have not been able to print. 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers on the printer. I've removed and recreated the wifi connection for the printer. The laptop can see the printer, but when I attempt to print I get a print error. It just says Error - Printing. When I open the properties the two oddities that I see is that it says datatype RAW and processor MS_XPS_PROC. 

I've removed MS_XPS_PROC from the list of available printers, but it still gives me the MS_XPS_PROC processor. I've searched for MS_XPS_PROC in regedit, but it isn't there. 

Your help is appreciated. 

Regards

Roxanne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After multiple experiments, I finally got the printer to work (I think). The test print worked, I haven't run any real print jobs yet. Some of the things that I did were:

• editing mxdw-manifest to #XpsFormat=OpenXPS,XPS.
  • Moved as many xps files as possible to a different location. Changed ownership on some of the xps files from TrustedInstaller to Administrator so I could move them.
  • Ran the Microsoft troubleshooter which identified that there were some paused MS updates.
  • Ran the HP Print and Scan doctor that said that there were some uninstalled drivers.

I think following the troubleshooter and scan doctor steps ultimately resolved the problem.

Regards

Roxanne

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@roxannelsm Welcome to HP Community!

This seems like a driver issue and I suggest we reinstall the same using the below steps to resolve the issue:

• Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, unplug the USB cable from the printer (if present). 
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: click here to download

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle

I'm away from home this week so won't be able to try this before Friday. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know if it works.

HP Recommended

@roxannelsm Thank you for responding!

Please take your time and get back to us with the results,

We will be eagerly awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a great day, ahead.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Riddle and all

Neither stopping the service and clearing out the Spool directory, nor uninstalling and reinstalling all HP products resolved the problem. I'm still experiencing the same MS_XPS_PROC error.

HP Recommended

After multiple experiments, I finally got the printer to work (I think). The test print worked, I haven't run any real print jobs yet. Some of the things that I did were:

• editing mxdw-manifest to #XpsFormat=OpenXPS,XPS.
  • Moved as many xps files as possible to a different location. Changed ownership on some of the xps files from TrustedInstaller to Administrator so I could move them.
  • Ran the Microsoft troubleshooter which identified that there were some paused MS updates.
  • Ran the HP Print and Scan doctor that said that there were some uninstalled drivers.

I think following the troubleshooter and scan doctor steps ultimately resolved the problem.

Regards

Roxanne

HP Recommended

@roxannelsm That's awesome, I'm glad it worked,

Although, if you ever need help related to your HP device,

We'll be right here and happy to help, take care and have an awesome day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.