Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet M28w
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

i) Moved to new house. Cannot connect Laserjet M28w to the new wifi and do not have a manual to check from. 

ii) Is it possible to use the USB printer cable instead of wifi and if so how? i.e. can the cable be used as a manual connection and turn the wifi off? How to turn the wifi off? 

thank you 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Yes,

You may connect the printer with a USB and disable the wireless connection by pressing the wireless button on the printer, the blue wireless light turns off when the wireless radio is off.

If you prefer to connect the printer to your new network, make sure the USB is disconnected from the printer, then press and hold the wireless button for 20 minutes, as soon as the Attention Light starts blinking too release the button and the printer will restart.

Make sure your Mac is connected to your new network, that you can see an HP-Setup network in the nearby wireless networks list and open HP Smart, click the plus sign and follow the steps on screen to Add Printer and connect it to your new wireless network.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Shlomi thank you for the advice.

Step 1 . I have tried the manual process first as this SHOULD work. I have turned the wireless button off on the printer and tried to use the usb cable on both a MacBook Pro and Dell Latitude - neither worked - the laptops both report the printer as being offline even when they are also offline.  Why would the simple cable connection not work? 

Step 2: I tried pressing the wifi button for 20 mins? but the attention button started flashing after about a minute. Once the attention button is flashing should I release the button? Do I then need to add the printer as new. 

thank you 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.