Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended

HP Envy 6400 printer. Moved to new location. Connected to internet but don’t know the password. How do I reset password for printer? Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @CLH315,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Resetting the password for your HP Envy 6400 printer involves a few steps to restore the printer's network settings. Here’s a step-by-step guide.

Restore Network Settings to Default:

• On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button and the Cancel button at the same time for 3 seconds.
  • This will restore the network settings to their default state.

Reconfigure Wireless Settings:

• After resetting the network settings, you need to reconnect your printer to your Wi-Fi network.
  • Open the HP Smart app on your smartphone or computer. If you don't have the HP Smart app, you can download it from HP's website.
  • Open the app and select "Set up a new printer."
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to connect the printer to your Wi-Fi network. You'll need your Wi-Fi network name (SSID) and password.

Re-entering Network Password:

• During the setup process, the app will prompt you to enter your Wi-Fi password. Enter the password carefully.

Printer Password Reset (if necessary):

• If the printer itself has an administrative password that you’ve forgotten, you may need to reset the printer to factory settings. This option is available in the settings menu on the printer’s control panel.
  • Go to Settings > Printer Maintenance > Restore > Restore Factory Defaults.

Alternative Method via Embedded Web Server (EWS):

• Connect your printer to your computer using a USB cable.
  • Open a web browser and type in the IP address of your printer (you can find this on the printer control panel under Network Settings).
  • This will open the Embedded Web Server (EWS).
  • Go to the Network tab, and you can reconfigure your wireless settings from here.

Updating Printer Firmware:

• Ensure your printer firmware is up to date. This can sometimes resolve connectivity issues.
  • You can update the firmware via the HP Smart app or by downloading it from the HP website.

Following these steps should help you reset the password and reconnect your HP Envy 6400 printer to your Wi-Fi network.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.