Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
DESKTOP-K9O2QP9
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have two computers connected to my Printer (Desktop & Laptop). Have had these two connected for a few years. Recently. my printer will only print items send from my laptop(will not print items sent from desktop). When I try to send from Desktop, says printer is offline. However, we know it isnt offline since it is printing from my laptop.  I have unplugged Desktop, I have unplugged Printer, took off the cords, reconnected cords. Same issues for a few days. What is the solution? Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I was having a similar issue with my two MFP M479dfw laser jet printers in the office.  Wireless printing worked, as well as the front office HP All-In-One computer.  But not my main computer.

After unplugging one completely, and focusing on the other only, I did get it to work.  The issue seems to be a Windows 10 update...?  Trying to get it to work, I just got error messages that the job didn't print.  HP Print and Scan Doctor was unable to find the problem, as well as the troubleshooter in Settings.  Then, the printer started showing that there wasn't a driver installed!  ??  Multiple attempts to install the full driver package and driver only didn't work.

I took a chance and downloaded a firmware file from the HP site (only 1 listed at time of this post).  Once installed, I shut the computer and printer down, started them back up and then downloaded the driver only.  Voila!  I got my 1 1/2 year old printer back online with my computer.

*****Word of caution - I tried doing the same steps with the second printer.  The firmware update didn't install (got an error message), and now my printer won't acknowledge internet connection.  The screen is frozen on the following message: "A problem has occurred with one of the printers critical system files.  A printer update will be installed to fix this problem."  A promising message, except for the fact that the printer isn't connecting to the internet.  So the update cannot be installed.  I tried an ethernet connection AND a USB connection directly to the printer - nothing.

HP Recommended

Sorry!  forgot to acknowledge that my issues also started with the printer going offline.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.