Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5055 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

Printer has been connected to our wireless network and we are participating in HP Instant Ink. The printer lost connection to our wireless network. (I have unplugged, and rebooted both printer and router.) Without the wireless connection, it is unable to determine that the ink cartridges are legit. Is there a way that I can bypass the "Instant Ink cartridge can't be used until printer is enrolled" screen and access the printer's wireless setup menu so I can manually restore the wireless connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JCR35,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It can be quite frustrating to encounter this type of issue where you are unable to access the necessary menus due to the printer's Instant Ink error. Here’s a step-by-step guide to try to resolve this problem:

Reset the Printer: It sounds like you've already rebooted the printer, but ensuring a full reset might help bypass the error temporarily. You can typically do this by disconnecting the printer from power for about a minute, then reconnecting it.

Use Basic Cartridges (if available): If you have standard (non-Instant Ink) cartridges on hand, replace the Instant Ink cartridges with these. This might disable the Instant Ink message and allow you to access the menu to reconnect to Wi-Fi.

Bypass Using the Printer’s Control Panel:

• Sometimes, pressing the "Back" button or the "Home" button (if available) on the printer when the error message shows up can take you back to the main menu or home screen.
  • Check if there are any override functions like an "OK" to acknowledge the message and possibly move past it.

Direct Connection Methods:

• USB Cable: If possible, connect the printer directly to your computer using a USB cable. You may be able to access the printer settings directly from your computer to reconfigure the Wi-Fi settings.
  • Ethernet Connection: If your printer has an Ethernet port, connecting it directly to your router can help you access the internet without needing to configure the Wi-Fi settings initially. This could allow the printer to verify the Instant Ink status and let you access the Wi-Fi setup afterwards.

HP Smart App or Software:

• Download and install the HP Smart app (available for both Windows and macOS) or the full-feature software from the HP website.
  • Connect your computer to the printer with a USB cable or via Ethernet.
  • Try using the app or software to configure the wireless settings or troubleshoot the connection.

Check HP’s Website for Firmware Updates:

• Look for any available firmware updates on HP’s website that might address this issue. Sometimes bugs in the firmware can cause these kinds of lockouts, and updates can resolve them.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @JCR35,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It can be quite frustrating to encounter this type of issue where you are unable to access the necessary menus due to the printer's Instant Ink error. Here’s a step-by-step guide to try to resolve this problem:

Reset the Printer: It sounds like you've already rebooted the printer, but ensuring a full reset might help bypass the error temporarily. You can typically do this by disconnecting the printer from power for about a minute, then reconnecting it.

Use Basic Cartridges (if available): If you have standard (non-Instant Ink) cartridges on hand, replace the Instant Ink cartridges with these. This might disable the Instant Ink message and allow you to access the menu to reconnect to Wi-Fi.

Bypass Using the Printer’s Control Panel:

• Sometimes, pressing the "Back" button or the "Home" button (if available) on the printer when the error message shows up can take you back to the main menu or home screen.
  • Check if there are any override functions like an "OK" to acknowledge the message and possibly move past it.

• USB Cable: If possible, connect the printer directly to your computer using a USB cable. You may be able to access the printer settings directly from your computer to reconfigure the Wi-Fi settings.
  • Ethernet Connection: If your printer has an Ethernet port, connecting it directly to your router can help you access the internet without needing to configure the Wi-Fi settings initially. This could allow the printer to verify the Instant Ink status and let you access the Wi-Fi setup afterwards.

HP Smart App or Software:

• Download and install the HP Smart app (available for both Windows and macOS) or the full-feature software from the HP website.
  • Connect your computer to the printer with a USB cable or via Ethernet.
  • Try using the app or software to configure the wireless settings or troubleshoot the connection.

Check HP’s Website for Firmware Updates:

• Look for any available firmware updates on HP’s website that might address this issue. Sometimes bugs in the firmware can cause these kinds of lockouts, and updates can resolve them.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your clear suggestions and helpful suggestions. I appreciate it. It is so great to have access to your experience! Here's my status:

Reset the Printer: No luck.

Use Basic Cartridges : I'll have to buy the non-instant ink cartridges so will try this last!

Bypass Using the Printer’s Control Panel: No luck.

• USB Cable: Tried but no luck.
  • Ethernet Connection: Working on this now. Needed to order an adapter

HP Smart App or Software: Yes, I have this and it looked promising, but no luck.

Check HP’s Website for Firmware Updates: Will do this next.

HP Recommended

Hi @JCR35,

Thank you for your response, 

Please feel free to reply to us and we will be more than happy to help you.

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.