Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
MFP 137fnw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear community,

I bought a 137fnw because the description said, that wsd is supported. I've installed the full software and driver packages and updated the firmware to the newest one. But I can't scan to my pc from the device. If I press the scan-button and choose "scan to wsd" I can choose my pc, it's listed with the correct name. But if I then press "OK" nothing happens...

FYI: the printer is connected to a router (fritzbox), IP for the printer is fixed.

What I've tried:

- WLAN and LAN

- deactivate the firewall in windows

- reinstalled all drivers and software packages several times

- uninstalled the printer several times (both from registry and prnmngr.vbs)

- connected directly to the pc

- open port 8018 (wsd) in router

What works:

- printing from LAN and WLAN

- scanning with several scanning tools and apps from pc (Windows scanning app, NAPS,...)

- printing from my mobile devices (smartphone and tablet)

- configure the scanner in Windows-Settings/scanners and cams/ --> I can configure the scanning profiles, the properties of the scanner...and so on.

But there's no way to scan a document directly from the panel on the printer.

Thanks for your help,

Sig

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi Sig,

Have you added a printer manually via Windows to enable WSD?

A such will not be enabled by installing the printer software, but must be configured from within the OS itself.

See page 88 of its user guide:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06288271

Also, be aware that scanning with WSD is more limited, only supports picture scanning and does not offer any document formats such as PDF or multiple pages scanning to a single file.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi Shlomi,

thanks for your reply. Yes, I added the printer in both ways, automatically and manually via Windows. I had found your described document as well and as I've written in my first post, steps 1-5 are working except step 6. There's no slightest reaction from the scanner, if I press OK at the end. The display only shows again "Scan to WSD"...

And I also know. that scanning with WSD is limited, but for me scanning a document directly from the device is an everyday routine like copying a document quickly.

Sig

Edit:

For me, it seems to be a rights-problem. Could it be, that I have to configure something in the privacy-settings of Windows? On my PC I have disabled a lot of things, because I don't want that Windows communicates so much...

Edit 2:

Meantime I tried it with another PC in the same LAN and it doesn't work too. On that second PC I have installed the printer manually as an WSD too.

The PC isn't listed in the "Scan to WSD" option in the panel of the printer and I can't access the scan-profiles in Windows-settings like I can do on the first PC. Also on the second PC the Windows-scanner-app can't find the scanner.

Difference between them is the Windows-version: W10 Pro 1903 (first PC) and W10 Pro 2004 (second PC).

HP Recommended

Hi there,

first success:

On my second PC now the Scan to WSD option works... In firewall-settings I had to allow "imageeng.exe" in my private network. Although I permitted the same on my first PC it still doesn't work. But I think I'm not very far away from the solution. Perhaps somebody has a tipp affecting my privacy-settings in Windows?

Thanks...

HP Recommended

Hi there,

now I found out what's wrong but I haven't a solution for this:

under Windows-settings / devices / printer and scanner --> click on printer / manage  --> choose the scanner then "scanner features"

When I go in the properties of the scanner and choose "events" I can not select an action. They are greyed out. The only one is "no actions". But I have installed several tools like ACDSee which are also registered in the registry-key of "StillImage". Don't understand this...

On my other PC I can choose all actions. And there is the action "Scan" which is the one I have to activate to let the "Scan to WSD"-funcion work.

Has anyone an idea how I can resolve this?

Thanks in advance...

Sig

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.