Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Laserjet 4015

I recently performed a firmware upgrade on our printer, and upon completion there is a 'clearing paper path' message that does not go away. I did some research and came across an article stating a bug that requires all accessories removed prior to upgrading.

http://www.lbrty.com/tech/articles/P4015/p4015_firmware.html

I borrowed another Tray 3 from a different printer and and it works, but I cannot get the original tray to work on either machine. I'm going to attempt a rollback, but seeing as how this tray does not work on another existing printer I'm not too confident. Would anyone have suggestions on how to get this tray functional again?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I've got exactly the same issue, I have a P4015X which i upgraded the firmware the other day with tray 3 attached as well as the duplex unit.  I was getting the same message about checking paper path so found some articles online and ended up removing tray 3 and the duplex unit and pushing the firmware update again.

The printer now works fine except when tray 3 is attached, with tray 3 attached i keep getting "Check paper path......paper will be ejected".

If you find a fix for this please let me know.

HP Recommended

This is a known issue.  You need to remove any added items (trays, feeders, etc) and perform the firmware upgrade again. You then turn the printer on and make sure everything is ok.  Now turn the printer off and add each added item back to the printer 1 at a time and turn the printer off and then back on.  This should correct the problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Guys

I tried this yesterday but it didn't work.  I'm on the phone to HP now, though the printer is out of warranty i'm arguing the case that tray 3 was working fine until the firmware upgrade.

The woman i spoke to mentioned that it is probably a mechanical fault but i said tray 3 was working fine before the firmware upgrade. 

HP have spoken to their 2nd line technical advisor and they now want me to perform a cold reset on the printer with Tray 3 and the duplex installed and then push out the firmware again.

I'll let you know how it goes.

HP Recommended

Hi duckyo16

I've managed to fix the issue, Tray 3 now works.....here's what i did to fix it.

I had tray 3 connected as well as the duplex unit.

I performed a cold reset on the P4015X.  To perform a cold reset power off the printer and then power it back on.  As soon as you see the memory being calculated hold down the "Go" button and keep holding it down until all the LEd lights are lit.  Let go of the Go button and you should see "Select Language" then use down arrow key to cycle down to "Cold Reset" and then hit the Go button.

Once the printer powered up I connected up a laptop via usb cable and then pushed out the firmware.  On the LCD of the printer it kept alternating between "Check Paper Path....paper will be ejected" and the status of the firmware upgrade.  When the firmware upgrade had finished on the laptop, i looked on the LCD of the printer and saw:

Performing Upgrade:

1.100% complete

For Help Press ?

This was what i saw the first time i updated the firmware the other day and assumed that the printer had hung so i switched it off after 5 mins. 

This time round i left it, I think after about 10 mins i heard the printer make a slight whirl noise like the fan spun and when i checked the LCD it now said:

Performing Upgrade:

2.100% complete

For Help Press?

Then about another 5-10 mins later the "Check Paper Path" appeared on the LCD and then the printer rebooted and powered back up, it works fine now, Tray 3 works.

I think what caught me out with this was the amount of time the firmware took to update on the printer.  Usually when i've performed a firmware update it's been fairly quick.  Just follow these instructions and hopefully it'll sort out the issue for you too.

HP Recommended

Thanks Davey73,

This also solved my problem. My problem was that when the Duplex Unit was attached the printer was stuck with the same message as you have with the tray3.

P4015X (Duplex with Tray3)

Cheers!

Steven

HP Recommended

You're welcome Steven, i'm glad you managed to resolve the issue.

HP Recommended

Davey is there a way to accomplish this if the unit doesnt have a USB port.  I only have a network connection on the P4015x

HP Recommended

Hi KHunter

Sorry for the delay, i've been on holiday for the past couple of weeks.

You should be able to push out the firmware upgrade over the network too.

When you run the firmware upgrade, just made sure you point it to the network driver for the printer on your pc and it should upgrade.

Dave

HP Recommended

Check Paper Path....paper will be ejected this message appearing in screen HP p4015 also the mechanical parts are not working, I replaced the Logic port then the printer  work but appearing new message in printer screen said "Resend upgrade" after replaced the Formatter from the same printer I was taken the logic port then the printer working fine.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.