Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey Madroc,

don't give in, my problems subsided with my M276nw. The real cause I can't truly recall because I actually never did use my Boxee much after removing it from my network. The one true thing that I can repeat is that my wireless router 5 GHz DID completely upset the printer into Service Error 49. AND HP Support DID convince me to return my 1st printer after citing the EXACT fuser conclusions that you mention. My SECOND M276nw however made me investigate further and get to the router issue. Turning the 5 GHz band OFF settled the printer error and I thought I'd have to live with only 2.4GHz (which can be affected by portable phones, microwave etc).

I only lived with that until I could go through the process of updating my router firmware, which took 4 updates in sequence. I can say that after that update I didn't really want to setup wireless anyway since I'm wired throughout my house. I remember the pain of getting the ip setting reset in the printer and didn't want to risk getting into that again so I never did initialize wireless again even after updating my router firmware.

My wireless 5 GHz band has been on since that date with no issues since my printer is wired.

After still hearing about so many people with the same issue though I thought that I owed it another shot (going wireless).

I turned it on few moments ago and had to disconnect the LAN cable to get wireless working and it worked perfectly for an hour with no issues. My Boxee is gone as well.

Was it my Boxee (which never actually proved a direct effect) or was it the router 5 GHz band (which wrecked the printer every time I turned it on UNTIL I updated the firmware)?

You have not mentioned your router info, did you check it's 5 GHz band operation for cause/effect?

And have you updated the router to current firmware?

Just askin.....

HP Recommended

Hallo,

I had the same problem with my printer Laser Jet Pro 200 M276nw.

My modem-router is a DSL2640B

The printer worked well until some days ago.

The printer is connected to the router by a cable, and the other devices are connected to the LAN both by cable and wireless.

Now, if the wireless comunication if my modem-router is on, the printer continuosly gives

"49 Service Error - Turn Off then On", prints two white sheets and then gives the same error again and again until I turn off the printer.

If I switch off the wireless comunication of the modem-router, the problem stops and the printer works fine.

I updated the firmware of the router but it didn't help.

A solution that seems to be workin, for my case, is:

1_I went to the wireless network settings of the modem router, by mean of internet explorer

2_I found "802.11 mode"

3_I changed this setting from "802.11b in combination with 802.11g" to "802.11b only"

4_I clicked on "apply changes" at the bottom of the page.

It seems working, since some hours ago.

I hope this can help somebody else.

bye.

HP Recommended

Well, i have the same problem.. Error 49....

Printer Laserjet pro 276nw.  I have a wired connection between equipments (2 pc's and printer), with manual assigned IP's.

Until today, the printer worked fine without any issue..

I've tried everithing on this topic and i could find on internet.. Nothing worked.. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the printer but surprise... The installer does not recognize the network printer nor on auto scan or manual given ip... Though, i manage to instal (a partial driver install) via manual/custom install (add a new printer - local printer - create port tcp ip pot, etc..) The result is that the print test is ok but everything i want to print waits for centuries to be printed So this option is a No-No...

On the other PC, printing works well on every document i want to print less the pdf docs...

I'll try tomorow to update the firmware maybe this will be the "case solved" but i'm not so sure...

If you have any other ideea, other than those presented here, it will be gladly accepted and tested..

Thank you in advance.

HP Recommended

49 Service Error can be caused by a print job sent that the printer can't process.

1. Unplug the network cable

2. Stop the print spooler service on the PC that's sending the print job

3. Clear the contents in C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS

4. Start print spooler service

5. Plug in network cable

HP Recommended
I work for a large public school district as an IT Field Services Technician. I've been working with HP printers for over 15 years now. You can always try updating the printer drivers. This problem is caused by bad data, bad print commands, etc. Not a hardware problem. Also electrical noise (Don't use multi-taps) only direct connection to clean grounded AC, away from electric motors, etc. Make sure you have good Ethernet cables & jacks. WiFi likes a strong signal. I've also seen the occasional intermittent bad JetDirect card, especially the older ones. The driver updates seem to have given me the best results.
HP Recommended

Perfect, and simplest  answer by techmi26 above. Bad print job spooled an old Vista PC in a dark corner of my network. Deleted the job and the printer came back to life when I plugged it back in.

The 2 blank pages it kept spitting out should have been a clue.  Before trying more drastic measures, check every device and queue on your network for unprinted, spooled jobs being sent to this printer.  Delete them all, power down and unplug the printer, plug it back in and power it up, and the error may clear.

Coincidentally, it had just run out of yellow toner before the 49 error, so I thought it had something to do with that.  It did not.

HP Recommended

Just put the printer off. Push OK and right arrow button simultanuously while setting the product to on. Wait a little bit. Ready to go!!! That is what I did, works perfectly!

HP Recommended

The information you gave is great if you understand how do to it.  Is there somewhere I can find out how to do this step by step.  I have no idea how to do what you said you need to do to make it work.  I don't know how you change your router.  Could you give step by step instructions?  Thanks and sorry for not being so technical savvy.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.