Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Is there a way to eliminate the sleep mode on the printer?  I cant connect to it remotely through Google or other cloud printing services unless the printer is on.  Even the HP All-in-One Remote app wont connect unless the printer is on.  My printer is not directly hooked to a computer.  Also, when in sleep mode, when someone is trying to send a fax, the printer is slow to wake up and recieve the fax.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Entering the System Menu and adjusting the "system mode time out" to 0 minutes worked. The printer has remained online, available and accesible after 11 hours of sitting idle.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep' is disabled.  Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto Off. Or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also check your Printers Properties.

HP Recommended
The "auto sleep off" setting was checked when I set up the printer. That didnt help. This morning, my printer is not online, again. The wireless light is solid blue, the power light is on, but none of the buttons work.
HP Recommended
Yesterday, I had to unplug the printer and plug it back in to get it to "wake up." Today, I called the fax number from my cell phone and it turned back on. Frustrating!
HP Recommended

These settings are for setting up your wireless printer to stay connected to your router, keep wireless devices better connected and makes your router secure and hack proof.

1. Set a static IP in the printer (click here) outside the DHCP range of the router (check your manual). This is for Linksys routers but can be used for all routers. Verify your DHCP range and change this first if needed. More Wireless Printing help is here (Windows solution 4, static IP).
  2. Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep' is disabled.  Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto Off. Or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also check your Printers Properties.
  3. If the printer supports and has IPv6 enabled, turn off IPv6 in the printer.
  4. If needed and you assigned a static IP address, try using 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 at the Alternate DNS server. 
  5. Verify the printer is on the latest firmware by checking with the HP Support site.

In the router: (Refer to your router manual for information) 

1. Use a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never 'auto', try channel 1 first then the rest. 
  2. Set router to 20Mhz only, or 145Mbps depending on router. 
  3. Always use WPA2-AES (Personal) encryption, but you can try ‘mixed’ mode. 
  4. Disable WPS and never use it and disable UPnP for the routers security. Nobody can hack your system now and helps with wireless connectivity (if you want to know why, search the web).
  5. If you have a dual band router (2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands), make sure the SSID’s are NOT the same, they must be different for all bands, even for any Guest networks.
  6. SSID broadcast must be enabled.
  7. Save all settings. Power off both, wait 2 mins.  Power on router wait 2 mins. 
  8. Power on printer and verify it reconnects to router. 

Windows 7/8/8.1   Is Network Discovery on or off?

1. Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network and Sharing Center/Advanced sharing settings.
  2. Under Home or Work (current profile) / Network Discovery.
  3. Select "Turn on network discovery" and save changes.
HP Recommended
None of those suggestions worked. My computer hasnt been used in about 3 hours and the only way I can activate it is to call the fax number or unplug it and plug it back on again. Even sending a document from my computer wont turn it on.
HP Recommended

Just to make sure. What is the IP of the printer? What is the DHCP IP starting and ending addresses in the router?

HP Recommended
I think I may have found an answer on another forum. Entered the System Menu and adjusted the "system mode time out" to 0 minutes. Seems to be working so far.
HP Recommended
I never really believed that it was a WiFi or router issue. How could the router prevent me from using the printer's power button? Or, any other button, for that matter, to wake up the machine?
HP Recommended
Entering the System Menu and adjusting the "system mode time out" to 0 minutes worked. The printer has remained online, available and accesible after 11 hours of sitting idle.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.