Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My printer keeps displaying a 79 Error message. I have followed the steps listed on Resolving Control Panel Messages (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02617147 and nothing seems to be helping. Is there anything else I can do on my end to resolve this issue?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi AshleyG,

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you are getting a 79 error.
I will be happy to help you.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector)

This can be caused by malformed PostScript documents.

Please do the following:
Locate the on/off switch on the bottom of the printer.
Switch the printer off position and COUNT to 10.
Turn the printer on again and the system should be all set.

Try printing from another application to see if you have the same issue.

If a print job of yours repeatedly causes this error, it may indicate a problem with the print job.

Try breaking your document up smaller before printing it.

I would recommend to run a firmware update on the printer.

HP LaserJet Pro 100 color MFP M175nw Drivers.

Select your operating system, click next, click the link for firmware.

What operating system are you using? How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

What applications are you using?

Let me know how you make out.

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.
Have a great day.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello there,

I've got a similar problem, the printer started diplaying "79 error" with no reason, it also keeps restaring. I have also tried updating the firmware but with no luck (printer keeps restarting).

Is this a sort of "2k" bug?:smileyhappy:

Any help would be much appriciated.

Regards,

Mark

HP Recommended

Hi SuperVirgo,

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you are getting a 79 error message and the printer keeps restarting. You already updated the firmware and are having the same issue.
I will be happy to help you.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector)

Please check your private messages for some other steps to try.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.
Have a great day.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Your suggestions did nothing to help me.

I turned printer off, waited some time and turned back on; updated firmware; plugged printer into wall outlet. 

I have nothing in the print queue.  The printer is stuck in some infinite loop: It says Hewlett Packard and shows progress bars; it says Initializing; it says Ready and shows ink levels; it says Printing Document; it prints a double-sided black page.

All of my ink is getting used up so I would please like some better advice than has been provided in these support pages.

HP Recommended

Hi joespagg,

Thanks for letting me know the reset didn't resolve the issue. It should have set the printer back to factory settings.

Delete any jobs in the print queue. It sounds like the printer is holding a print job in memory since it is showing " Printing Document" now on the display. Print Jobs are Stuck in the Print Queue.

Disconnect any cables from the printer, except the power cable. This will rule out a software issue causing this message on the display.

I would do a hard reset to see if that will resolve the issue.

Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet rather than a surge protector.
This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

Try printing a standalone hardware page if the printer screen is back to a Ready mode. Printing a Configuration Report. 

If the standalone print test page prints, then reconnect the printer back to the computer and try printing again.

If the issue persists, I would recommend to call HP Tech Support to service the printer. Call 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Contact HP Worldwide.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi there'

The only thing that made it work, was to change the fixed IP address of the printer to something different. So at this moment the printer works fine on the cable, but can't make it work via WiFi anymore.

Regards,

Super Virgo

HP Recommended

Thanks for providing that information SuperVirgo.

Since you were able to resolve the issue by changing the fixed IP address, I believe it might be a network issue causing the printer to react this way. When manually setting the printer's IP, make sure that it is outside of your router's DHCP range. Otherwise you may run into an issue with duplicate IP's on your network.

Open Internet Explorer and type in the IP address for the printer in the address bar.
This will load the Embedded Web Server for the printer.
Select the networking tab, wireless on the left hand side.
Fill out all your network information, select infrastructure, select your network name, put in password and type of encryption.
Apply settings.

Then disconnect the Ethernet cable.

You should get a blue wireless light in a couple of minutes.

Check the port showing on the computer, to make sure it matches.

Go to start, devices and printers, right click the printer and left click printer properties, select the ports tab.

Click on configure port to view the IP address.

If the IP address doesn't match then create a new port with the new IP address.

Close the configure port window.

Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
Type in the proper IP address for the printer.
Make sure the printer is online.

Test the printer.

Let me know how you make out.

Thank You.
Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Amigo mio ayer precisamente se me presentó esa anomalia, solo debes entrar en programación y retaurar los valores predeterminados de fábrica del equipo. Espero te sirva de algo la información

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.