Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
05-24-2017 10:35 AM
8610 prints, & scans to USB but won't scan to computer. Says not enabled. No option to enable in Printer Assistant.
05-25-2017 10:53 AM
Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.
I understand that you have an HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer. I read that the printer prints and scan fine from the computer. But when you try to scan from the printer to the computer, it says not enabled. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.
I would like to know the following information to assist you better:
- Is the printer connected wirelessly?
I suggest you to perform the following steps to enable to scan to computer option from the printer's EWS page (Embedded Web Server).
- Locate the printer's IP address by touching the wireless button on the printer. Otherwise, you can also print a network configuration page as it will have the IP address printed on it. From the printer control panel display, touch and slide your finger across the screen and then touch Setup. Touch Print Reports and then touch Network Configuration Page.
- Type the URL address for the EWS in the browser address bar, and then press Enter. Make sure to type the IP address into the Internet browser's address box. If typed into a toolbar search box or search engine, the EWS does not open.
If a website security certificate displays in the Internet browser, click Continue. The EWS webpage for the printer opens, which confirms that the printer is on the same network as the computer.
- Click on the Scan tab and check if you have an option to enable to scan to PC option.
Hope this helps. Let me know the results. Cheers! 🙂
05-25-2017 11:23 AM
No network environment.
I'm connected via USB!
Strange isn't it?
Only the USB scanner path to computer seems to be gone. Scanning to flash drive works, printing and copying works.
Printer assistant says 8610 installed but when I try to scan to computer it says not connected.
Thanks for you kind attention.
05-25-2017 04:20 PM
You're most welcome and thanks for clarifying the connection type as USB.
The scan to computer option works via USB. But the full featured drivers must be installed for it to work. In case the full featured drivers are not yet installed, they can be installed via this link.
Please refer to the steps mentioned under "Scan to a computer" from this link.
Hope this does the trick. Let me know. Cheers! 🙂
05-26-2017 09:40 AM
Good morning MKazi,
I tried the link you sent me. I've seen it before in my travels to get my scanner to recognize my computer. In fact I've uninstalled and re-installed the driver/software both with my disc and drivers from HP over the internet.
Any other suggestions?
I hope you like a challenge.
It seems to me that somehow the printers scanner path ONLY to my computer got corrupted.
Is it possible that I need to get a new printer in order to scan to my computer?
I can scan, but only to my flash drive and then access it with my computer.
Thanks for your time.
05-26-2017 03:42 PM
You're most welcome. I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot.
I would like to know if the scanning works from the computer using the software. You may use the HP Scan and Capture app and let me know how it goes.
Also, you may try to uninstall the existing drivers from the root level and then reinstall them. The below steps will help:
- In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
- Select your HP printer.
- Select Uninstall.
- In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
- In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
- Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
- Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
- Click on Drivers tab.
- Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
- Select OK.
- Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
- Close Devices and Printers.
- You may download and install the drivers from this link.
Again try to scan and check. I hope this does the trick. Let me know. Good luck! 🙂