Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have not deleted the temp Folder where the software Extracted to....I used the HP Wizard to ID and install the software and it does not download ...I do see the Folder OJ6500vE709_Full_14 in the temp Folder...so there must be away to run the Software from this Folder.....

Windows7 Home Premium 32bit

HP Recommended

@denmarfl,

Yes, you are absolutely correct!

1. Open "OJ6500vE709_Full_14"
  2. you will see the "Setup.exe" all the way at the very bottom - run this.
  3. Click Install More Software.
  4. Install the OCR Software.
  5. Restart the computer.
  6. Check if you have the option of Document to File.

Let me know if this works.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

That was the Fix...I now have "Document to File"....in fact, before I installed OCR I had 5 shortcuts under scan....now I have 9.  Thank You

After 3 weeks I have now resolved my issues that prevented me from Scanning and faxing using the Solution center....and now the last piece....getting all the shortcuts back.  Over this period of time I worked with HP Support with no resolution.

The Scanning and Faxing error issues have been around since at least 2008....and its disappointing that HP hasn't provided its customers with an Updated Software Installation package or a patch.  My Scanning and Faxing issue was resolved with a 15 seconds DOS Registering String....and now my shortcut issue with a 60 second installation of one add'l piece of software which I normally would not Install because I wouldn't use it. 

Once you know the resolutions to most software issues.....you find the fixes simple....and therefore again I scratch my head....why hasn't HP provided these fixes..seems to me knowing the Fix a patch would be simple...there are 1,000 of Post regarding the issues.....and HP should be there to its customers.

Thank You very Much........

HP Recommended

Hello denmarfl,

Glad we were able to resolve this issue. If you have any other questions, feel free to post back.

Have yourself a great day! 🙂

Thank you,

HP Recommended

There is still a "tiny" issue which I couldn't find the answer.  When I send a fax using the Front panel Controls of the OJ6500....I get a printed Fax Receipt print-out showing the fax went thru...which I want.

When I Fax from the Solution Center......the Send Fax Receipt does not print.  I know I am faxing sucessfully, I used the HP Fax Test Number which sends a fax......then it sends a Fax back so you test so you know your fax is sending and Receiving is working....and that works.

is there a different setting to get the fax Send Receipt if you use Solution Center?  I did view all the fax settings in Solution Center but saw nothing applicable?

HP Recommended

@denmarfl,

When you send a fax from the computer itself, it should come up saying that it was sent or 100%. The only way you'll be able to get a printed fax confirmation is if you fax from the front panel of the printer.

Thank you,

HP Recommended

TG! Someone came up with a fix - I've been dealing with that **bleep** scanner error message for weeks and did everything I could to fix it. God knows, how many times I uninstalled and reinstalled that software. But, what I found is; that you have to follow the directions to the "T" or you'll be fumbling around again. The HP fix, does NOT work. They just say, uninstall and reinstall - you're just wasting your time, like me.

The real fix is from: CedarsKnight:

Go back to Setup folder and open "bpd_scan" folder. Right click on "bpd_scan.msi" file (windows installer package) and click on "Repair"

1) Click on Windows icon at bottom left of the computer screen

2) In the Search box type cmd. In the Search Results, "Command Prompt" will be displayed.

3) Right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator". You may be prompted to enter username and password which is your user account details.

4) Now type the following command and press Enter key:

regsvr32 hpqebpd2.dll

(Note: There is space between the two words)

If this fix doesn't work - at least you'll know you're on the right path. Somewhere in the HP program there are some corrupt files that need to be repaired, and uninstalling and re-installing the program will not solve the issue.

HP Recommended

I have tried everything in this thread to no avail. I am running Windows 7 x64 on a new computer. The old OfficeJet Pro L7780 worked most of the time on the old computer with Windows 7 x32 (as long as I was willing to uninstall and re-install the software about once a month). Is ther anything else I can try to get this POS to scan again?

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

I agree fully that they've completely botched the scanning software.  Having to regularly re-install the software or having to resort to 2nd & 3rd level workarounds is just silliness.

I usually need to scan things to PDF... I now use PDF X-Change Viewer for this.  There is a free version will lots of useful features but I think you have to upgrade to the `Pro` version to have the ability to create a new document directly from the scanner.  This works well enough for my purposes so I don't have to deal with HP issues anymore.

HP Recommended

I need to scan other file types besides .pdf's, but your post got me thinking: There must be other scanning software out there that is more reliable than HP's (not saying much there). So I Googled "Scanning Software" and got "about 77,600,000 hits"! I downloaded one that purported to do lots of file types and it seems to work just fine - it even found my cranky old HP OfficeJet Pro L7780 on my network immediately.  This one is called NAPS2 (Not Another PDF Scanner) and the best part is that it seems to be free. HP can kiss my donkey.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.