Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laser Jet Pro M477 fdw

When I use the ADF scanner on my HP Laser Jet Pro M477 fdw, the scans and the copies are crooked.   The flatbed scanner does not have any such issue.  I have an open case with HP for this issue, but I am unable to receive anything other than basic entry-level support from someone reading from a script.  Does anyone else have issues with the ADF scanner/copier on the M477 ?

Between the ADF scanner issue, an issue I am having with the printer constantly trying to print from Tray 1 (even though it's not a tray, it's the manual feeder), and the inadequate support, I am regretting buying an HP product.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @David1NYC,

Thanks for the reply!

This looks like an issue with the printer hardware. Since this is a new printer, I am sure the machine will be under warranty. You can either check with the store or call HP phone support to get an in-warranty printer replacement. 

You can visit http://www.support.hp.com/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help.

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello, @David1NYC– Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others.

I understand that you are having issues while using the ADF on your printer. The scans are coming crooked could be because the paper is not fed correctly through the ADF. I would suggest you open the ADF mechanism and try and clean the same. You can refer to http://hp.care/2iZknwc

Let me know how that goes. I’ll watch for your reply!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

@DVortex,

I have heard that as it seems to be the standard reply.  This was happening out of the box, not after a while.  I did inspect all of the rollers and glass, and everything was perfectly clean.

HP Recommended

Hello @David1NYC,

Thanks for the reply!

This looks like an issue with the printer hardware. Since this is a new printer, I am sure the machine will be under warranty. You can either check with the store or call HP phone support to get an in-warranty printer replacement. 

You can visit http://www.support.hp.com/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help.

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I received the new ADF in the mail today and an HP support person installed it today.  And now I have straight scans!

HP Recommended

David, are you saying they sent replacement ADF that sits on top of the printer? I have the same problem, but my warranty has expired. Wish I had gotten on this sooner.

HP Recommended
Yes. The entire ADF was removed and replaced.

HP Recommended

How do I request replacement of my feeder?   These scans are ridiculous - always crooked and non-professional.

HP Recommended

The answer is earlier in the thread. Either scroll up to see th highlighted answer dated 1/11/2017, or just click here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/ADF-scanning-results-in-crooked-scans/m-p/.... If your still under warranty, this should do it.

HP Recommended

I have a less-than-one-week-old M477fdw printer that exhibits the ADF skewing problem.

I called HP support asking about a replacement ADF assembly, but the support agent [edit]  instead conducted a troubleshooting session with me. The results are significantly better, but still not as good as a manual scan or copy off the glass.

He had me activate a hidden menu by:

1. selecting Setup
  2. pressing the empty space between the home icon and the question mark
  3. pressing the Return arrow
  4. quickly selecting Setup again

A 2ndary Service menu will be revealed. Perform a scan calibration using the following steps:

1. select 2ndary Service
  2. scroll down to Scan Calibration
  3. from the new menu, select 600 color ScantoHost

The printer will perform the calibration. After it is finished (just a few seconds), scan a document using the ADF, ensuring that the paper guides are set correctly. The skew should be lessened, but several repeats of this procedure may be necessary to achieve satisfactory results.

For the moment, this is OK, but I hope HP will address this issue with some sort of permanent fix.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.