Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 6500A
Android 5.1 Lollipop

I have an HP Officejet 6500A All in one printer connected to my network via Ethernet which I want to print and scan with from my Android tablet.

I would expect this to be straightforward, but all the guidance I have found so far seems to assume you are connecting directly to a printer via WiFi rather than over Ethernet via the router. Can anyone tell me how to set this up please.

NB I do not wish to disconnect the printer from Ethernet and make it a WiFi printer, as this causes other issues and I understand you can only use it as a network printer or WiFi printer not both.

I installed the AIO Remote software first, then tried the plugin.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @msitekkie

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are having issues printing from your Android devices wirelessly.

Don’t worry, we will work together to resolve this issue and It’s a pleasure to assist you in this regard.

I would like to know whether the printer and Android devices connected to the same router? If yes, I recommend you to try the HP ePrint application and check if it helps. Check below link for more information.

http://hp.care/2oYAxee

Follow steps in the below article to setup ePrint.

http://hp.care/2oYOwR3

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did try ePrint as well with the same results.

What helped as a troubleshooting technique was to print a network configuration page and identity the URL to connect to the embedded web server interface on the printer http://192.168.1.6 (not so easy to try PING on Android).

This also failed, proving that basic network connectivity was not working (from my Android device, it was from Windows).

I then switched the printer off and back on and tried the web interface again, it was now working! So was some internal printer issue.

As feedback can l suggest a support article that identifies clearly that both printing routes are supported and different steps for each.

1. via the local network where the printer is configured as a network printer (with an ethernet cable in the back)

2. direct WiFi (no Ethernet connection).

On my Officejet 6500a at least you can only use one route or the other. If you have an Ethernet cable connected, the printer will not allow you to enable WiFi.

My major concern after reading various support info (and references to WiFi that did not make clear if they meant direct WiFi or via the WiFi router) was that possibly only the 2nd route was supported and my initial efforts focused on this.

Anyway glad to have it working - will be interesting to see if the issue re-occurs after a while (I leave my printer on all the time to save ink) or if it's a setup issue such as needing to have the plugin configured before attempting to use the app.

HP Recommended

Hi @msitekkie

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that! 

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.