Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 5660
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I was on a trip for a while and when I came home and started up the printer to print something, I got a message on the printer screen that an update was needed first. I let that update run and went on with my business. Sometime later, when I hadn't used the printer for several hours, I noticed it wasn't turning off automatically after two hours of inactivity. When I looked at Settings, auto-off is no longer a choice under Preferences. That explains why it isn't turning itself off, but I liked that feature. What happened in this recent update, and is there a way to get auto-off back? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ArtemisTwo

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the Auto-off doesn't function after recent update,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you update the firmware of your printer?

Or perform a hard reset after the issue occurred?

If you haven't, here's what you need to do:

Perform a hard reset:

1. Unplug all cables and memory cards from the printer.  Unplug the power cord, directly from the back of the printer while the printer is still turned on.
  2. Unplug the other end of the cord from the power source.
  3. If there is a power module on the power cord, disconnect one end and reconnect it.
  4. After 60 seconds, plug the cord directly into a wall outlet ( not a surge protector or battery backup ).
  5. Plug the power cord into the back of the printer.
  6. The printer should automatically power back up.  If it doesn't, turn it on with the power button.
  7. Try making a photocopy (if your printer is an all-in-one printer) before connecting any other cables to the printer.
  8. Connect any other needed cables to the printer.

Update the firm ware: Click here to find it

And then, follow the below steps:

1. From the Home screen on the printer display, select Preferences.

2. From the Preferences menu, select Auto-Off.

3. From the Auto-Off menu, select On or Off, and then press OK to confirm the setting.

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your help. I did the hard reset the way you suggested. Then I looked for the firmware and downloaded it. When I went to install it, I got the message that the firmware was up-to-date already. 

Auto-off is still not showing under Preferences, however.

Do you have a  Plan B?

HP Recommended

@ArtemisTwo

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

There's always a Plan B,

it's a factory reset of your printer and to help you out,
I'm sending out a Private message with the reset instructions,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

(The reason we are utilizing the private message is because the instructions are critical,

And we don't want it in the wrong hands, as the printer will be set back to factory defaults).

Keep me posted,

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I ran into an issue almost immediately with following the instructions you sent. I turned the power on, pressed BL (which brings up the Web Services Summary). When I press BL again, I get various Web Services Settings, but there are no further BLs to press. I've messed around on the menus just to see what's there, but I don't see anything called a Support Menu. Please advise (and don't give up on me, please!). Thanks.

HP Recommended

@ArtemisTwo

Thank you for replying & don't worry I'm not the giving up types 😉

They way it works is you need to Tap at the bottom left of the display in the sequence mentioned,

I suggest you simply tap on it multiple times and you should be directed to the support menu eventually.

However, if this doesn't work it normally means that there is a hardware malfunction and the printer needs to be serviced, I would request you to give this one more attempt and then Contact HP phone support to get the printer serviced.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

And Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.