Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Same problem here. After installing a brand new ink cartridge, the black ink portions of the alignment and cleaning test pages are half-printed (wasting color ink in the process) and documents with black text are printed with a hint of illegible blank ink. After spending an hour trying and re-trying the "troubleshooting tips," I've wasted enough time (and ink). I shouldn't have to waste more time contacting HP to service a printer I've had for less than a year or to get a replacement ink cartridge for a brand new cartridge that I literally just installed (expiration date is Jan17 by the way). Poor quality and performance all the way around.

HP Recommended

Hi DL321,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.
RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Same problem:  black will not print.  However...I am receiving daily crossword puzzles,  arriving at random times and the black is  printing, just severely  faded.  Nothing I try to print will print.

HP Recommended

Hi baliko,

Welcome to the HP Forums! 

What is the Operating System that you are using, Windows, or Mac? What version? https://www.whatsmyos.com

Have you tried following the steps in this guide? Color or Black Ink Not Printing. If so, what happened? 

Are you using Genuine HP ink cartridges, or refills? 

Are any of your ink cartridges low or empty?

To show that you 'like', or are thankful of my post, kindly click the thumbs up below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

I have the same issue.  Black will not print.  I put a brand new genuine HP ink cartridge in, printed allignement, no black.  Tried cleaning - serval times, no black.

HP says take it out and let it sit a few hours or overnight.  Will try it, but I think I need to buy some HP Pixie dust to sprinkle on it to give it a better chance of working.  Seriously, the solution is to let it sit overnight?

OS is Windows 10

Using Genuine HP ink cartridges

Color prints fine

Looks like a printer issue - will HP acknowldge it???

HP Recommended
I have two Envy 5530 printers and I have had to replace the black ink cartridges several times prematurely. The printer shows that there is almost a full black ink, however will not print black. I can remove black in and use single color cartridge and it prints fine. I have decided to by change to a different brand of printers as I am convinced that the problem is HP Printer defect and I won't waste anymore time or money with hp ink. This is a problem with with how products, and the only way I can fix it is move on to a better product.
HP Recommended

Same problems as everyone else.  Black ink won't print and ink is not low.  Color works fine.  Needless to say, I have a piece of junk taking up space.  Time to find a new brand of printer.....

HP Recommended

This might not be the greatest of ideas but I was having the same issue where my HP ENVY 5530 was only printing in color but not in black at all and everything this forum recommended didn't work. Even tried single cartridge printing and setting printing to greyscale-black ink only.

The printer also showed that the ink levels of the cartridges (both genuine HP) were high because I had just replaced them a couple of weeks ago. In fact, the black 61XL was still showing completely full because I don't do much printing at home and I just bought it direct from HP recently. When I cleaned the printheads several times with the built in tool, the test page that came out only showed the (6) big patches of color at the bottom of the test page every time and none of the black text that precedes the patches. 

I had took out and then wiped both of the printer cartridge heads down with a tissue and noticed that when I wiped the color cartridge down, it left a tricolor streak on the tissue but there was no streak from the black cartridge. Maybe it was clogged up or dried?

I took the black cartridge out, went to the sink and put some water on the tip of finger, then wet the printhead and then wiped it off and repeated. Then reinstalled the black cartridge and ran the clean printhead tool again. It printed the test page with the black text. See pictures of before and after.

It's not the best quality but at least it's better than no black at all. 

1.jpg

HP Recommended

@spartanrunner,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to print in black but the issue got resolved after dampening the nozzles of the cartridge with a wet finger and then wiping it off.

I am happy to know that the issue has resolved.

I also appreciate your time and patience in sharing this solution.

Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.