Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8500
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

A friend of mine gave me the printer listed above. It was unplugged and not used for a few years. I changed the two printheads and the ink, but it would not print.  

This is what happens when I turn it on. It shows Warming up for a few seconds. Goes through a clicking sound and then I get a Paper Jam, I clear the jam and press ok. It goes through a clicking sound and gets a Paper Jam. This goes on forever and gets no further.

What is happening?

Why is the printer behaving in this manner?

Anyone has any ideas that they can share with me to get the printer working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Carson

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @TheBigLand,

Good Day. Thanks for posting your query in the HP community. I read the post regarding paper jam errors with the printer. It will be a pleasure to assist you here.

Commendable diagnosis and splendid description of the issue before posting. Hats off you on that score. 🙂

• Did you bypass power strips and connect the printer directly to the wall outlet?
  • Did you perform a hard reset on the printer?

It definitely looks like a hardware issue with the printer.

For a start please perform all these steps by following this document A 'Paper Jam' Message Displays for HP Officejet Pro 8500 

• Solution one: Clear the paper jam
  • Solution two: Check the carriage path and reseat the printheads
  • Solution three: Clean the rollers
  • Solution four: Reset the product
  • Solution five: Search for more information
  • Solution six: Service the All-in-One

If it still continues please perform all the prescribed steps patiently from this article An 'Original Jam: Clear jam, and check if it fixes the issue.

If it does not, then you will need to contact HP phone support to get the printer replaced as the printer has a hardware

issue. Link for phone support: http://hp.com/contacthp Please select the country and follow the on-screen instructions.They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.