Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 5660 Printer

Hello,

I have a new Evny 5660 All in One printer and I wondered if I can set it up to be both wired and wireless. I inow have it set up to be wireless for two computers - it connects onto my network and both computers can access it. However, I wondered if there was a way to also add a USB connection to my desktop computer so that it will still work computer to printer when the wireless is not turned on. I don't always have the wireless on and then I can't print from that computer, so it would be nice to have the option to do both if there is a way to do it.

When first setting up the printer, it used huge amounts of my montly wireless data allotment, so I have (hopefully) turned off all updates and direct connect options so that it ONLY uses the wireless for my local network - not to go out onto the internet and download things by itself.

For that reason, I don't use it a lot or leave the wireless on for more than the time it takes to print whatever I am printing, and then I turn off the wireless since I am not confident that it it won't again try to use a huge amount of data on its own. Thus the question about wireless and wired. I don't actually print much from my laptop and don't need the wireless on most of the time if it could also be connected via USB to my desktop computer.

Thanks!

TN

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TNorth wrote:

OK - as I thought, the manual doesn't address making the printer BOTH wireless and wired. It tells how to go from USB connection to wireless, but not the other way around and also gives no information on the type of USB cable needed.

In the "Printer Setup and Software" section on the computer itself, it also only gives the option to add a new printer or to change wireless settings - nothing about adding a wired USB connection.

Any help on how to do this much appreciated!

TN

You need a Printer USB cable.  Not just a regular USB cable.   Like this.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-2-0-Cable--Male/dp/B00BCWALHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14403634...

You should just be able to run the setup software and follow the prompts to plug the USB cable in and it should work.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
As long as you don't have anything activated on the printer to download from the web you are not using any ISP data. You can have USB and wireless at the same time just follow the instructions in your manual.
HP Recommended

Thanks! I will check the manual, but as I recall it was pretty sparse on actual directions. I will post back if it is not clear.

"As long as you don't have anything activated on the printer to download from the web you are not using any ISP data."

So as long as I have updates disabled and Direct Wireless (or whatever it is called) disabled, it should be fine?

Thanks!

TN

HP Recommended

OK - as I thought, the manual doesn't address making the printer BOTH wireless and wired. It tells how to go from USB connection to wireless, but not the other way around and also gives no information on the type of USB cable needed.

In the "Printer Setup and Software" section on the computer itself, it also only gives the option to add a new printer or to change wireless settings - nothing about adding a wired USB connection.

TN

HP Recommended

@TNorth wrote:

Thanks! I will check the manual, but as I recall it was pretty sparse on actual directions. I will post back if it is not clear.

"As long as you don't have anything activated on the printer to download from the web you are not using any ISP data."

So as long as I have updates disabled and Direct Wireless (or whatever it is called) disabled, it should be fine?

Thanks!

TN

Correct.  Direct wireless is using the printer wirelessly without a router.   It should be disabled.

HP Recommended

@TNorth wrote:

TN

You need a Printer USB cable.  Not just a regular USB cable.   Like this.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-2-0-Cable--Male/dp/B00BCWALHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14403634...

You should just be able to run the setup software and follow the prompts to plug the USB cable in and it should work.

HP Recommended

Thanks! I'll give that a try. Will it in effect install the printer a second time so that it "looks" like there are two - one wired, one wireless?

TN

HP Recommended

One Printer should have Network attached to the name. If not you can rename them to anything you want.

Oh, you may not need a 16 foot cable either.  Search for a shorter length that you need.

HP Recommended

Great - thanks so much! I know that a shorter cord will work - I may even have one in my "box of cords" - LOL!

Will give it a try - thanks fo rthe info!

TN

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.