Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

80 REPLIES 80
HP Recommended

Hi,

You may print using black ink only as long as you have any of the ink cartridges available.

Once the color ink cartridges are depleted it is essencial to replace the ink even for blck pinring only as the ink is require to service and maintnane the All-In-One product.

You may find more information in the following document:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03773211

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have an HP Officejet 6600 and have been trying to print in black ink for months. Each time I've gone through the steps in the document you linked, and selected "print black ink only".

Since then, my color catridges, which were completely full, are now depleted, even though I was only printing in black! Is there a driver that I'm missing?

Just to give a bit more information, this morning I printed a google maps document and selected "black ink only" once again. Not to my surprise, many of the symbols on the document were green and red, meaning the document was actually printed with color ink. Is there a way to fix this? I don't want to need to replace the color ink cartridges when I'm just printing black ink documents.

~Jeremy

HP Recommended

Hello,

Did you ever get an answer?  I am having the exact same problem.  I installed all new color cartridges.  I have NOT used color printing at all since they were installed.  I always select Print Black Ink Only when I print, and to top it off, I print "draft" copies to save on ink.

So today, I'm trying to print off a black and white pdf document.  I selected the above settings.  The printer says my yellow is depleted and so nothing will print!  How is it depleted when I have NEVER used color printing?

Anyone that can answer this question  would be MOST appreciated.  I am very frustrated as I purchased three new color cartridges that are supposed to be capable of printing 330 pages on each color.  I have printed about 30 pages in black ink only since I installed the color cartridges.  My black ink cartridge is about half full.

I hope this isn't the way things are going to be.  If so, I will have to purchase another printer from some other company that doesn't have these problems.

Again, ANY help at all is deeply appreciated. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have not received a reply either, and it's been a couple months. Right now, the best solution I have is just to print drafts, like you do. I'm hoping that HP Support will eventually see this message and let us know where to download an updated driver that uses the correct ink cartridges to print (if such a driver exists).

~JeremyC

HP Recommended
Thanks, JeremyC. I am so frustrated with everything involved in this situation. I did try bumping this message to the top of the forum but that didn't help either, so far. VERY disappointed in HP right now. I guess I'll need to start looking for another printer next week. I can't afford to pay for new color cartridges every 30 pages of b&w draft printing. Would love to see an updated driver as you mentioned, but I too am becoming convinced that it doesn't exist since they seem to be avoiding addressing the problem.
HP Recommended

Hello. Sorry for the delay in response, however the Officejet 6600/6700 will need all ink cartridges containing ink installed to print black ink only as well. You will find the colors will deplete over time as well as with this unit, even when you are printing in black ink (selected in your print settings) the colors are all used as well. I have included a document to explain how the printer services.

HP Officejet 6700 Premium

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Thank you for responding. I am quite disappointed to learn that the color ink cartridges deplete themselves when Black Ink Only is chosen. That information was not explained to me when I purchased the printer. As a matter of fact, I specifically asked about using black ink only and was assured that the color cartridges were only utilzed when print in color ink was selected. As a consumer, I have never felt so completely deceived in my life. I am appalled and disgusted. In this day and age of advanced technology one would think a company would be able to design a machine that isn't so severely inept. I have owned this printer less than a year, so I am forced to take the financial loss your company has caused me and used my hard earned dollars to purchase a new one from an honest company, if there are any of those that still exist.
HP Recommended

I too am blown away by this issue. I only need a printer for black ink printing. I have only used my 6600 for black. Tonight all the cartriges were low, so I purchased a black ink cartridge only. Came home, installed it, no print for me. The printer needs ALL the color ink cartridges to print black? I'm sorry even if you explain this to me I will still maintain that I am getting scammed. I cannot describe my disappointment. It's after midnight, I need to print forms for work tomorrow, and I am stuck. The only way I can convey the extent of my displeasure is by assuring you that on my way out to work in about 5 hours my 3-4 month old HP Officejet 6600 will be in the trash bin awaiting the landfill where it belongs. 

HP Recommended
DATL, yours won't be alone. Mine is hitting the trash tomorrow also. I can only hope that I can list this as a loss on my taxes this year. Last purchase I EVER make from HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.