Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Deeskjet 1055 J410e
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I thought I read wher my printer could print by using one cartridge, can that be done?  If not since I never use the color cartridge can I replace both with black cartridges?  The nk levels show they are low, but not totaly empty, however, when I attempt to prnt the printer acts like it's going to print, but then after a pause the paper comes out completely blank.  I don't mind replacing the ink cartridges if that is the issue.  If I replace them & I still have the problem I'm out the money that I spent for new cartridges.  Give me your opinion, please.  Maybe it would be just as cheap to replace it with a new printer?  I only ned one that prints only.  I never scan or use the FAX feature. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Sorry the black slot is for black, the color slot for color.  However some printers will allow you to print black only without the color tri-cartridge installed.   

You state your cartridges are low.  That is only an estimate.  Sounds like they are empty.

HP Recommended

Hi tappsman,

The printer is designed to have color cartridge on color slot, similarly black cartridge on black slot. There's no way to have both slots t have black cartidge : )

Try to set the print mode as gracescale or black&white, if you intend to replace black cartridge for continue printing.

Some printer model allow  either one cartriges empty

Thanks

Regards

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi Tappsman,

I think if u only want to replace the black cartridge and leave all the CMY as low on ink status, u can change ur printing setting as print black and white only, so that all the color cartridge won't be used for printing but just for servicing, so that u do not need to replace these cartridge often to save money.

otherwise once u decide to use back the color cartridges, u can change the settings again to enable color printing.

I attached one pic under attachments, please have a look.

-->under windows-devices and printers,

-->choose ur printers

-->set preferences

-->go to paper/quality

-->change to bnw

wish it can help!

I am an HP employee.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.