Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Digimon11...

I did as suggested and found the 7Z....files in my Temp folder.   But when I opened the newest one there is nothing in the folder.  No files at all.   I am thinking I should uninstall and reinstall, but I am working on an HP computer too and can't differentiate between the HP computer and HP printer files.   I don't want to uninstall any of my HP computer files.  Any other suggestions?

I am having the same problem No scan.msi on my CD or in my download file from HP website!! My computer is not HP but I have uninstalled & reinstalled at least 5 times. From CD & from download from HP and still no 7Z with scan in it or in setup on CD. How can I get this file??

HP Recommended

De-install all the associated HP software. This will require a few reboots...

Download the latest version.

Do NOT execute the downloaded software but unpack the .exe file to a suitable location, for instance by using 7-zip.

In the thus created folder, locate SETUP.EXE and execute this.

BTW: The scan.MSI and the required .cab files can be found under the created folder in the folder setup\scan.

The real problem is that the HP software keeps calling these files to re-configure the setup settings.

This is costing a lot of time for each scan.

It is not the first time HP supplied me crappy software...  and the new CEO wants it to be a software company?

Succes all...

[ All errors contained herein are copyrighted. You may copy them for personal use at your own risk. ]
HP Recommended

I have done everything that you suggested. I have spent around 20 hours on the phone with HP. I even tried to restore the file from my windows cd but I have installed service packs from windows so it tells me the cd is invalid. So HP is suggesting that I reformat my hard drive!! We all know how much time and energy that will be. I cannot find the file on windows website. I am thinking about going to my laptop & copying file. Think that will work?? HP should keep this file somewhere so it can be downloaded without all this drama! Software company......Sure!

I have not downloaded the file from 7 zip because I do not know anything about the site. Can it be trusted???

HP Recommended

7zip is o.k.

It is a well established program.

But other archive programs may work as well.

The files on the HP site are actually self-extracting archives, by extracting them with another program you obtain all files as if you had them on a CD.

----------------------------------

But again, this workaround 'solution' allows the scanner to operate because scan.msi can be found.

Unfortunatly, it should not need scan.msi at all, this scan.msi should only be executed during setup.

So for some reason, the HP driver thinks this scan.msi has not been run yet and requires it again.... and again... and again...

So until somebody finds out the real solution... getting around the self-extracting part of the installer seems to be the trick to get rid of the scan.msi pop-ups.

Well, it worked for me anyhow.

Regards

Brody

[ All errors contained herein are copyrighted. You may copy them for personal use at your own risk. ]
HP Recommended

I too have had difficullty in finding Scvan.msi on my sustem is there any way I can copy this file and perhaps keep on my desktop for further use? Or have HP every done a fix for this all too common prob?

Thaniks Mike

HP Recommended

Hard to believe that it has been more than two years since I first reported this problem. Apparently HP's "Solution" reported earlier did not solve the problem for everyone. My ultimate solution was to buy a replacement AIO. My Officejet Pro L7590 software does not have this problem.

HP Recommended

Yes after 25 hours on the phone with HP Support I have come to believe that there is no such file. It is not on my laptop or original CD's from Microsoft. HP cannot provide the file even though they say it is in their download. But HP contends that it is an operating system problem not theirs. So I have purchased a new printer and will never own any HP product again. I am even replacing all HP at my business! I am done! Thanks for your help. I did try your solution  several times but the file was not there.

HP Recommended

After spending way to many  hours on this problem, I found this site to download Scan.msi.

http://www.gegereka.com/?query=hp+scan.msi&submit=%3E.

The error box didn't like the location that I saved it to, so I double clicked Scan.msi to run it and it seemed to install correctly. I have no clue why this worked, but at least my scanjet 2400 is working again although the new software is quite different from the org that came with the 2400 scanner. Hope this helps.

Phil

HP Recommended

My 7310xi printer scan function has worked OK since its purchase, but my latest attempt to scan a document resulted in the message 'unable to locate scan.msi.' I downloaded and reinstalled the driver installer, but still receive the 1706 error message. There are two 7z folders in the temp folder, both were created today 1-7-2012. Right clicking repair returns the same error message.

I recently installed an application to improve PC performance. Could this be causing the problem?

Thanks,

KeithR

HP Recommended

My only suggestion is to throw away your HP product and buy something else! After 25 hours of trying to fix the problem that is what I did. My new Canon printer works great! Only HP requires scan.msi no other company needs it!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.