Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

AA try re-installing the pcs 1200 driver.

61.53.25.9 is the version that I have.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

I have tried re-installing but the prob remains.

I found the driver #... but then lost it - but it was nothing like the number you are using, and a search for that reveals it is NOT a driver for the 1200 series.

I have also run the 'find the best driver' function, and I am told that the driver I have (dated 2003 by the way) is the best one for this printer!

Please note also that, on theHP 

hp.com home
How to Get Your Printer Working with Windows 7

page, users are warned not to expect full functioanlity when using the psc 1215 with W7:

Nonetheless, thanks for your support.
AA
HP Recommended

psc1200.JPG

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hello AA,

I have good news...for me at least! I somehow fixed it so that I can change my Printing Preferences! All that I did was I went into the device's settings and, under the "Advanced" tab, changed the driver to "hp psc 1200 series". Here's what it looks like:

Printer Properties

Now, after changing this, when I go to the printer's properties, it brings up this message:

Error Thingy

I just click "No" and it works fine! I can change the printing quailty to "Fast Draft" or "Maximum DPI".

Let me know whether this works for you or not!

Mr_Bean

HP Recommended

What great news! I will try this and report back.

Meanwhile, I have had a reply from HP to my complaint, and as you will see below, it says they have a policy of not helping folk like you and me. So my only hope is your workaround!

By the way, I have another prob, and it may be connected to the Preferences' issue (but maybe not). If I forget to load the printer with paper, I am no longer told 'Out of paper' , after which I would normally replenish and the printer would do the business. PLUS, when this prob occurs, I have tried to delete the print instruction and the printer than hangs up, saying 'deleting' but not doing it. I have to restart the computer to get back to being able to use the 1215!

Any thoughts?

AA

I am writing to you from the HP MDS Complaint Office. 
I have read your complaint concerning the limited functionality of your model of printer running under Windows 7 . One of the limitations being that you are unable to specify print quality.

Because of this you are unable to specify draft quality and so draft quality prints are not possible.

We have checked and the printer was manufactured, based on the serial number, in 2004 and was therefore out of warranty at the end of 2005. However I see from your email that you did not purchase the printer until 2007 which still means that it is approximately 3 years out of warranty and that there is no technical support for this printer.

In addition I have been informed that HP took a business decision not to support your model of printer after the end of 2008.

I regret therefore that I am unable to help you to have the full functionality for your printer that you would like.

Please contact me by replying to this email if you have any additional questions.

Kind regards – Mark.

MD's Office
Customers Services
Hewlett-Packard Company
HP Recommended

Wow, I am shocked at that response. You would think that they would gladly help customers out...

I have never seen that "Out of Paper" error before! Sometime you do have to restart the computer to clear the print job - quite irritating. I would recommend this:

• unplug the printer.
  • remove the 1215 driver from your computer.
  • plug the printer in so it can install the driver (don't use any CD).
  • use Windows Update to retrieve the latest driver update. 

Let me know how it goes!

Mr_Bean :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

mr_bean355 try this program for clearing the print que.

HP Recommended

Thanks 8lives. Have downloaded and will try later... and will also try the hint from Mr Bean. Can't do it now\: am away from the printer.

AA

HP Recommended

DOMMAGE, as they say in France: the solutions does not work for me.

My printer is already set to hp psc 1200 series, and I am not being asked to "install the driver now". Indeed, I have been told that the driver is NOT installed. Yet the Preferences page does not come up when requested.

I think I'm giving up - and will try to drive the printer from my other (XP) computer.

I hate giving in, but there comes a time...

AA

HP Recommended

Have you tried setting the driver to something else, like "HP 910" and then changing it back to "HP PSC 2170 Series"? It sound silly, but I think that worked for me.

I understand the "giving up" thing - I basically had until it magically worked! It irritates me when technology just DOESN'T work! At least XP works properly with the printer! Don't give up, keep fiddling with the driver settings, maybe you'll get there!

Good luck man!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.