Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the HP 1217 (or 1210, seems like they are all the same)  and am useinf TWAIN, and I am getting the same message that says "cannot communicate with scanner".  You gave a fix for WIA, so what is the fix for TWAIN?  Just so you know I am using Windows 10 64 bit.  My printer scanner also is known as MFP M127FW sometimes MFP M127-128fw.  This is not the 1st time I have had this problem.  I did the fix for WIA and am still getting the same message.  At 1st it does attempt to scan, but a message pops up saying "can't detect paper"  (I am using the Document feeder).  So I put it on the flatbed, had to change the setting on Readirs Pro 12 (HP free version) to invert (don't know why the program doesn't have a way to automatically detect whether it is doc feeder or flatbed....or have a way to change it on screen), and I still get the same message.  I have re-installed it 2 or 3 times and am still getting the Cannot commuinicate with scanner message.  Everything worked fine the last time I scanned with it, now everything (scanner wise) has fallen to pieces.  An unrelated issue is when I print out the "stat" pages, some of the type on the left side is cut off, so the printer has an alignmnt problem too (from the day I bought it.  Haven't found a way to correct that either.  I have used HP Print and Scan Doctor (the newest version won't download so I have to use  a prior version that they subsiture), and now it's not working.  There must be an easy fix for this problem, but I don't know what it is.  It get's frustrating to get the problem fixed, and suddenly without warning the same problems reappears.  It has been a good scanner from the time I bought it (new), but in the past couple years this problem is getting more frequent.  Perhaps there has been an update on the firmware.  Don't know how I would install that if there is.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @nevergetany,

Good Day!! Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! I understand that you have scanning issues with Twain. Twain is a built-in windows feature. If it is not working the issue could be with the operating system. It will be a delight to assist you. Smiley Happy

Spectacular understanding and commendable description of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy  You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did any software update or windows update cause this to happen? Do you know?
  • Have you tried HP scan and capture?
  • Is it a wired, wireless or USB connection?

For starters please try these steps:

• Please make copies directly from the printer to isolate that the printer has no hardware issues both from the flatbed and ADF without any communication from the computer?
  • If the printer does not copy fine or has problems copying, please try with different cartridges.
  • If copy still fails then please contact HP phone support to get the printer replaced or upgraded.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you

If it copies fine please try these steps. First completely uninstall the printer software by following these steps:

•  In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.

Then reinstall the full feature software from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-LaserJet-Pro-MFP-M127-series/5396666/model/530341... and update the printer firmware also. Please check again.

You could also check these links that could help: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-LaserJet-Pro-MFP-M127-series/5396666/model/5303419/document/c... if it is a network printer.

Also, try HP scan and capture app from the same link. It is the latest scanning software for windows 10 from HP.

This link may also help, even though it is for windows 8, it should be good for windows 10 also: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/TWAIN-Drivers-for-HP-8600/td-p/4191586 although it is for a different printer model.

Please check the user guide for scanning issues: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03628466

Hope this helps.   I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you always. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy 

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I called tech support.  They re-installed supposedly a newer version of the software.  I can get it to scan as long as I use the hp scanware...I have made it work on another scan program, but still decided to upgrade to a different machine.  The warranty on the old one expiered 2 months ago, this warrantee is for 3 years, so I think it will be ultimately better.

Thank you for your help

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.