Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 4500 Series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I change the setting for paper type to cardstock???  I used it last year with no problem and now it will not pull it through to print correctly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Community!

✔️Step 1

Load your card stock into the desired printer tray. You can use the main tray, or if you plan on printing a lot of copies on card stock, you might want to load the stock into the manual tray. On some HP models, the manual tray is located above the main tray in the front; on others, the manual tray slides out from the back.

✔️Step 2

Select the appropriate paper type from the “Paper Handling” or “Tray Settings” menu on the printer’s menu panel, if applicable. On some printers, pressing the "Checkmark" button opens the menu, and you can use the arrow keys to navigate to the appropriate submenu or scroll through a list of choices. The Checkmark button also functions as the “Enter” key to enable any selections made. If your printer doesn’t have a menu panel, disregard this step.

✔️Step 3

Open the document you want to print.

✔️Step 4

Click “File” and “Print.” Do not click any print button icons, as these are usually “quick print” buttons that send the document to the default printer using the default options.

✔️Step 5

Click “Properties” or “Print Properties.” The exact wording varies depending on the application used.

✔️ Step 6

Click the “Paper,” “Paper/Quality” or “Features” tab; then locate a “Paper Type” drop-down menu.

✔️Step 7

Select “Card Stock,” “Heavy Paper,” or choose the exact paper weight from the drop-down menu. You can determine the paper weight by referring to the card stock box or packaging.

✔️Step 8

Click “OK.” Choose any other print options desired and click “Print.”

🛑 If necessary, you can check the drivers updates, here: HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads 

Agatha
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@DebB1992

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand you want to print cardstock,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you check if your printer supports cardstock printing?

If you haven't, Click on the link below to check out the supported card type that the Envy 4500 supports and posted a screen shot for you below. I have also posted the link to get to the specifications page for you! I hope that helps

HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One and HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 3540 e-All-in-One Printer Series Printer Spec...

That said, here're the steps on how to print:

Paper Type

The first step is to determine what type of paper your printer supports. Some printers may not be equipped to handle the heavy weight of card stock, and trying to print with that type of paper could do damage to your printer. HP recommends reading the documentation that came with your printer, including the owner's manual or user guide, to find out what types of paper your printer can support. LaserJet and OfficeJet printers can typically handle card stock, though others may not. You can also check the printer's data sheet; look for the "Media Weight" to find out what weights of paper it supports, and then compare that to the paper information the packaging of your card stock. After reviewing the recommendations, purchase the recommended card stock.

Adjust Printer Tray

Now that you know your printer can support card stock, adjust the printer settings to essentially inform the printer and computer that you're using heavy paper. Your owner's manual will have more specific instructions, but typically, you'll first have to adjust the printer tray. On the printer's control panel, click "Select" to open the printer menus, and then select "Paper Handling." Scroll up or down the menu to find "Tray." Select "Heavy" or "Card Stock" from the Tray menu. Then close the menus by pressing "Resume."

Printer Settings

You'll also need to change your printer settings. With the document you want to be printed, open on your Windows computer, click "Print" from the File menu. Then click "Properties," and select "Paper" or "Paper Quality." Select "Card Stock" or the weight of paper you're using from the list of paper types, and then click "OK."

Feed the Paper

Some HP printers may allow you to load multiple pieces of card stock into the tray, but to get the best quality, you may have to load the card stock manually. Look at the card stock to make sure there are no nicks and the paper is not curled or otherwise damaged. If it is, the paper may not feed properly. Also, check your printer's documentation to find out whether the card stock needs to be fed through a particular tray on your printer. On the LaserJet 4200, 4300 and 9500 series printers, for example, card stock needs to go through Tray 1. Hand feed the first card into the tray, review it for quality, and then try adding a stack of cards to the tray. If you have problems, hand feed each card.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So.... even though the printer has printed cardstock for two years, it apparently wasn't suppose to so now it is now broken and I have to purchase a new printer.  It is now pulling two-three pages of plain paper when printing.  Very frustrating but my mistake.

HP Recommended

@DebB1992

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

To clarify, your printer should support Card Stock printing, the only thing you need to do is ensure the right media/paper weight and type are being selected before you attempt to print.

Go through the instructions I've attached on my previous reply to start printing,

That said, the reason it could be pulling 2-3 pages at the same time is because the wrong paper type is selected under printing preferences, if the issue persists, please install the latest printer drivers from HP: Click here to find and install.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't believe it supports 8.5 x 11 cardstock.  Is that correct??

HP Recommended

@DebB1992

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

You are right as this specific measurement of 8.5x11 isn't supported, below is what's supported by the Printer:

Card type - Size

Index - 76.2 x 127 mm (3 x 5 in)

Index - 101.6 x 152 mm (4 x 6 in)

Index - 127 x 203.2 mm (5 x 8 in)

Japanese postcard - 100.1 x 148.1 mm (3.94 x 5.83 in)

Let me know if this information worked for you,

If they did, that's awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Community!

✔️Step 1

Load your card stock into the desired printer tray. You can use the main tray, or if you plan on printing a lot of copies on card stock, you might want to load the stock into the manual tray. On some HP models, the manual tray is located above the main tray in the front; on others, the manual tray slides out from the back.

✔️Step 2

Select the appropriate paper type from the “Paper Handling” or “Tray Settings” menu on the printer’s menu panel, if applicable. On some printers, pressing the "Checkmark" button opens the menu, and you can use the arrow keys to navigate to the appropriate submenu or scroll through a list of choices. The Checkmark button also functions as the “Enter” key to enable any selections made. If your printer doesn’t have a menu panel, disregard this step.

✔️Step 3

Open the document you want to print.

✔️Step 4

Click “File” and “Print.” Do not click any print button icons, as these are usually “quick print” buttons that send the document to the default printer using the default options.

✔️Step 5

Click “Properties” or “Print Properties.” The exact wording varies depending on the application used.

✔️ Step 6

Click the “Paper,” “Paper/Quality” or “Features” tab; then locate a “Paper Type” drop-down menu.

✔️Step 7

Select “Card Stock,” “Heavy Paper,” or choose the exact paper weight from the drop-down menu. You can determine the paper weight by referring to the card stock box or packaging.

✔️Step 8

Click “OK.” Choose any other print options desired and click “Print.”

🛑 If necessary, you can check the drivers updates, here: HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads 

Agatha
I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.