Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5530 e-all-in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

All printer/scanner functions worked prior to Windows 10 upgrade from  Windows 7.  After "upgrade" to Win 10, scanner and copier functions are kaput.

SYMPTOMS:

Printer funtion still works

*Copy funtion indicates  "Now copying" but scanner bed never activates.  Pressing CANCEL does not stop process.   

* Manual SHUT DOWN does not work either with constant "Shutting Down" message. 

*Scan to computer and scan to email functions do not work 

*Attempt to run Windows scan "does not recognize HP profile" and cannot scan using Windows 10

ACTIONS:

*Had initially received "C4EBA230" message on blue printer screen with flashing icons, but a hard reset resolved error

*Have completely uninstalled & reinstalled basic software three or four times from HP site and once from HP disk with software update detected and installed

*Ran HP troubleshooting utility multiple times before and after reinstalls for scan problems - Detected driver problem each time.   Skipping driver check results and proceeding with scan check did not work

*Performed four hard resets to return firmware to facory settings. 

*Tried the HP Scan and Capture app (Nope - "Device is busy"  message - even  device is not)

*Checked ac voltage at the power cable and at wall socket (OK)

*Checked ink levels (More than half full)  

*Searched for firmware updates (none available on HP support site for Envy 5530)

Looks to me like there could be mutiple potential problems/solutions:

Machine firmware problem?  - any way to reinstall the current firmware via download?

Scanner mechanical problem? - scanner motor bad/bulb burned out? - where's the nearest authorized HP repair facility in Texas? 

New driver development needed for scan to computer  compatibility with  Windows 10? - That's y'all's problem 

Your diagnosis?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi doktor,

This issue is for computers and printers upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Windows regularly scans your computer and displays issues or updates, including recommendations to Disable applications to improve performance. If you disable hpwuSchd Application and HP Digital Imaging Monitor from the Startup tab in Task Manager, the following functions fail:
  • Cannot scan or fax from Solution Center
  • Device status messaging stops displaying
  • Automatic 'Add device' feature fails when you reconnect a previously installed printer
Re-enable the HP startup programs to resolve the issue.
  1. Search Windows for task manager, click the Task Manager app in the list of results, click More details, and click the Startup tab.
  2. Right click hpwuSchd Application, and click Start service.
  3. Right click HP Digital Imaging Monitor, and click Start service.
Jesyka 🙂

I work on behalf of HP. #HPExpertsDay

Please click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you. Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is resolved.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello! Perhaps the steps in this doc will help: Printer Problems after Upgrading to Windows 10

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
HP Recommended
Hi doktor,

This issue is for computers and printers upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Windows regularly scans your computer and displays issues or updates, including recommendations to Disable applications to improve performance. If you disable hpwuSchd Application and HP Digital Imaging Monitor from the Startup tab in Task Manager, the following functions fail:
  • Cannot scan or fax from Solution Center
  • Device status messaging stops displaying
  • Automatic 'Add device' feature fails when you reconnect a previously installed printer
Re-enable the HP startup programs to resolve the issue.
  1. Search Windows for task manager, click the Task Manager app in the list of results, click More details, and click the Startup tab.
  2. Right click hpwuSchd Application, and click Start service.
  3. Right click HP Digital Imaging Monitor, and click Start service.
Jesyka 🙂

I work on behalf of HP. #HPExpertsDay

Please click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you. Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is resolved.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion; however, been ther, read,  and done all of that. Perhaps  I need a more technical diagnosis of the possible problems rather than a one size fits all solution.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I see that you're unable to scan after upgrading to Windows 10. I would be happy to assist you with this.

Please download and run the Print and Scan Doctor, it will likely diagnose and resolve the issue you are experiencing.

What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor? (did it print or scan, any error messages)

This should solve the problem of scanner after installing Windows 10 by correcting the permissions for the user. I don't know why Windows 10 install changed it, and the error message in no way indicated this was the issue, but after a lot of trial and error, this fixed it.

Go to the folder where your scanner saves the document/image.

Right click > Properties

Security tab

Select Home User group or your current user from the list of user names, click 'Edit'. Change checkmarks to 'Allow', click 'Apply'.

I am an HP employee. Although I work for HP. I'm speaking for myself and not on behalf of HP.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Looking at the Start Up processes in Task manager,  I don't see the HP Dig HP Imag Monitor you mentioned listed.  There is a ScanToPCActivation App listed. . .That app and the hpwuSchd Application App are listed  in startup snd ativated, but stated problems still exist

HP Recommended

Had the same thing happen for my 2546b. I had to uninstall the software, restart, redownload and install the full feature software from the HP web site, and install it again (and then restart again)... after all the Windows updates were completed. Some of the Windows 10 updates affect the printer.

I have wireless and the setup process in this document finally worked for me... might help you to if you are using wireless.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03820126

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

After much time searching for the solution to my problem, I think this solved the problem I was having with my HP Envy 5530 not scanning or copying after installing an updated Windows 10 ver. 1511 yesterday.  

As suggested, I went to the task manager.   Also found the disabled icon in the task tray, which I disabled and enabled. That seemed to fix the problem.  

So glad to get it working again.  The warranty expired 10-23-2015!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.