Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

When I go to the printer settings fir my D5460 I get corrupted or blank dialogues.

I am running Windows 8.1 on an i7 4930K.

From Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers\HP Photosmart D5400 series I click on Customize your Printer then Preferences and I get something like:

5460_1.png

Any suggestions why this is happening or how to fix this?

The corrupted characters can be different, suggesting to me that the text resources are incorrect. I am using UK language settings.

I ave already tried the obvious re-installing, clearing registry settings, etc, etc.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @aerobaticant,

I understand that the printer preferences are not loading properly. I can help you with this.

Change the language settings on the computer to see if this will resolve the issue.

Go to the start up screen, (tiles menu) type in  "Control Panel", click on control panel and then double click on Regional Settings or Region and Language, change the language there to English United States.

Check out the properties now, to see if the issue is resolved.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Thank You.
Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately changing the Windows 8.1 locale to US and/or changing the language settings of Windows to English US does not fix this problem.

I have tried re-installing the drivers once the language settings have been set to US and this makes no difference.

I would be tempted to buy a new printer, however HP don't appear to make a printer with CD/DVD printing any more.

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear that didn't work aerobaticant .

Did you download and install the Full Feature drivers or are you using the Pre-installed Windows drivers?

HP Photosmart D5460 Printer Drivers.

Please take a look at this post from my co-worker @Sunshyn2005 with the same issue that you are having, to try.

Re: Strange characters / Wrong language in Print Properties (windows 8.1 pro 64-bit).

Let me know how you make out.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I definitely downloaded the full feature drivers.

The other post seems to be related to print settings from within Office 2013.

My problem appears via the Control Panel, nothing to do with Office.

I shall try removing and re-installing the driver using Print Server properties method this evening, but I'm not hopeful.

HP Recommended

Hi again.

I followed the instructions and completely removed and re-installed the drivers.

Even installing cleanly with US English set made no difference.

What I have now discovered, however, is that when attempting to print from 64 bit applications the dialog is corrupted:

64bit_app.png

However when printing from 32 bit applications the Dialog seems normal:

32bit_app2.png

I have tried several applications and this seems to be completely consistent.

HP Recommended

Hi aerobaticant,

That is very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I would try installing a Generic driver to see if you  have the same results, when using 64 bit applications.

Run the add printer wizard from Devices and Printers. Try the Photosmart PCL3 Class Driver.

Let me know the results with this Class Driver.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi Gemini02,

I have tried installing the generic PCL3 driver as you suggested and that displays correctly from both 32 bit and 64 bit applications.

It only seems to be the D5400 series driver with this problem.

I have two other printer drivers installed, a Samsung laser printer and a Brother label printer. Both of these appear properly with 32 bit and 64 bit applications.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm now having exactly the same problem with an HP F4500

Have tried all fixes above with no luck (does not recognise the photosmart driver).

Help!

HP Recommended

Hi @tashcw,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I see that you are having the same issue with the Printer Properties for the Deskjet F4580. I would like to help.

Did you run the add printer wizard from Devices and Printers and add the Deskjet PCL3 Class Driver with the same results?

Are you also using Windows 8.1?

Here is the English version driver for that model: DJ_AIO_06_F4500_140_408-5.exe

Is this the one you tried to install originally?

If you have the CD, I would try installing the software with it.

You could also try the HP Printer Install Wizard to see if it will be in the proper driver automatically, HP Printers - Using HP Diagnostic Tools for HP Printers in Windows.

Let me know what the results are. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.