Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP Designjet 130 had been working great for several years.   Then I had to replace the ink compartment because of spilled ink.  Corrected ink problems and prints perfect image quality test on good paper.   Printed perfect standard 6 bar color test image up to 12 x 18".    When I try to print a high resolution (14 MB) image from Photoshop or Microsoft Picture manager it starts the print perfectly but about 1/4 to 1/2 of the way into the print everything turns to Green and no Magenta is being printed.   I re-installed print driver but no change.  I tried direct printing without spooling,..no change.   I have wasted 3 full sheet of "Luster" paper 24" x 32" trying to test this so I switched to printing on 8 x 11 paper.  The printer is set to RAW and the print processor is Winprint. 

This failure happens reguardless what paper I use and it seems to be related to image size.   When I print the image in Photoshop it is 14 MB.   When I force it to print on 8 x 11 paper the spool shows the size is reduced to 5.12 MB but the image fades to green at the exact same point.

I have downloaded the current firmware,..which is the same as what is installed but I've not been successful to force the Service Maintenance software to install the firmware.  I have also tried two different computers and both produce the same results.  One is Windows Xp and the other is Windows Xp Pro

I am very confident that there is no problem with the ink carts or the printheads since as I indicated the Image Quality test is perfect and I can print a pure color test bar pattern at 13" x 19" and all 6 colors come out perfect. 

What is the size of the buffer in the HP 130 and how do I clear it before printing.   I have attached the color test image.

Please help.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I've also just read another HP forum on the HP Designjet 130 where someone else posted a very similar problem.  they had mentioned that the image fads to greem after a few inches of printing on an large 24" sheet.     This is my exact problem but the only answer on the post was several years ago and it said this problem was a "classic case of printhead failure".  To test this idea I loaded a plain sheet of 12 x 19" paper and printed the 6 color bar image for the entire lengh of the paper (19") and each color bar was about 2" wide.   So if there we any kind of problem with the head it would have shown up in that print.   all colors were perfect and not one white line or streak anywhere.   i don't believe the problem is with either the printhead or the ink carts.

The other post also felt the problem was with image size since that is when theirs occured,...same as mine.   The image I have been trying to print contains a full wall of yellow roses and a lot of green leaves.    the color that fails to print is the Magenta and the Photo magenta and as a result,...everything looks green and yellow.   I will do another test on a different image and see what i get.   By the way,...it does not fail if I print the same image on plain paper and at the 8 x 11 paper size.  That comes out perfect.   I have attached a copy of the 8x11 on photo Satin paper where it fail about 1/4 the way in.

HP Recommended

Isn't there one expert out there willing to make a post or provide a suggestion.  44 people have looked at my post and not one wants to make a comment.    Do any of you know a better place to get information about this printer.

HP Recommended

I understand that the print job is being processed through correct printer driver and you have confirmed that there are no connectivity issues which could cause data loss or related concerns.

Please try to find if the error is caused due to defect with consumables or hardware issue or job processing/transmission related.  I hope that you are using all genuine HP consumables (ink cartrdiges and printheads), if not then those could be replaced and checked first.

Though the test prints are giving fine results, still there could be an issue with the ink delivery system (including printheads, ink tubes, ink cartridges and ink supply station - ISS).  In some cases the service station might also be causing image quality defects (due to poor cleaning, wiping, priming operations).

As you have noticed ink leakage and replaced a hardware component (I am assuming it was the ink supply station in which the ink cartrdiges are installed), hope that no other components are contaminated or damaged due to ink leakage.  Also confirm if the repalced ISS was new and fully functional.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the 'Kudos Thumbs Up' if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

HP Expert,...sorry for my delay in replying.   I did not see your response.   I am convinced that the problem is with the color management system in my PC software.   The failing color image is 100% repeatable no matter what size paper or what type of paper and is associated with the size of the file to be printed.   I can change the location of the failure just by reducing the size of the image and I've been able to move it from 1/4 in to 1/2 in or to 3/4 of the way in and if the file is small enough then it will not fail.

The Image quality test does not fail because it is a small file.   I have watched the print spool and even files as small as 5MB fill fail 3/4 of the way through the image.   It is not a problem with the ink supply station or the suction pads since there is no smear or smudge of any ink and the failure is as clean as the first drop of ink.

My question is,...since I have reloaded the HP driver,...what is the correct color profile selection for color management in the printer properties and should it be set at automatic or manual.   Some also mentioned that I should make sure I am set to use the corrected color selection in Photoshop such as RGB or Srgb.    Also should the print job be spooled or printed directly to the printer.   Finelly should the print processor be WinPrint set at RAW or NT EMF.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.