Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

wow! Thanks so much for this tip!!! 

HP Recommended

Hello,

@Janeway5... are you still having this issue? If so, what have you tried? Did you run Print and Scan doctor?

Miles
HP Employee
HP Recommended

I just changed to a new router, and now I cannot get my printer to connect to WiFi. I followed your instructions and held down the wireless and red X buttons. After the power light started blinking, I held the wireless button down for 3 seconds, then held the WPS button down for 3 seconds. But it didn't work. Am I doing something wrong? This should not be so hard! my computers, phone and iPod all connected to the new system pretty effortlessly. Why won't the printer?

HP Recommended
I can't use my printer, what do I do? I am asked of password
HP Recommended
I can't use my printer, what do I do? I am asked of password
HP Recommended
I'm asking for password,HP-print AC-Denskjet 2540
HP Recommended
Why have HP not fixed this problem?

I think I just threw away a perfectly good printer. My 'old' printer 8 months old suddenly stopped responding - would not print either wirelessly or with a USB cable. I followed all the HP diagnostics referred in these posts with no success.

My supplier sent me a new machine under warranty and told me to scrap the old one. BUT, the new machine has the same connectivity problem!

I followed the set up process and, to cut a long story short, it will now print via the USB cable but will not operate wirelessly. It will not convert to wireless mode.

My iPhone, iPad and Toshiba laptop all operate faultlessly via my BT Hub.

I'm not a computer literate and I am from the pre-computer generation, so, I'm struggling. Should I need to be a computer scientist to set up a home printer?

The printer 'ON' light is steady as is the blue WiFi light. The printer appears in my 'Printers and Devices' panel and there is a tick in the box but it will not connect wirelessly!

I feel like taking this new machine to the tip too! Does anyone know of a wireless printer that would work for me?
HP Recommended
Hi John,

I have this same problem. I have tried your fix and it does work. Thank you for the helpful post.

Have you any idea what the root cause is and have you found a permanent fix since your original post?

Thanks,

Mike
HP Recommended

Hi,,

I have an issue with the 2540, where it will print a page over WiFi perfectly. But if there is any significant delay before printing a further page (say 60 secs or so) the printer loses WiFi connectivity, and shows 'offline'

Turning the printer off, then on again resolves the issue - extremely frustrating..

Any meaningful resolution from HP would be most appreciated, considering that this is a problem experienced by many!

TIA

Martin

HP Recommended
We got a new TIVO modem and it wouldn't connect. I solved this annoying problem by reinstalling the printer using a USB cable temporarily connected to a laptop that never had been used to print when this HP2540 had been originally in use with our old router. It worked. Apparently, a virgin installation bypasses the problem. I did have the disk that came with the printer, btw. Hope this helps!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.