Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello!  I would be grateful for any help.  I am here for Expert Day, and hoping for assistance.  My Deskjet 1220Cxi printer (large format - 13 x 19) used to work perfectly.  It stopped working a while ago, and there is a yellow light flashing by the ink cartridge symbol.  

I just installed two brand new cartridges today (black 45, colour 78) and the light still flashes.  In addition, the printer head shifts back and forth a tiny bit every five seconds or so.

I have just installed this printer on my Windows 7 computer, and the drivers have installed properly, and I can change properties etc, so it does not appear to be a software problem.  

Windows 7 does not allow me to control the Deskjet 1220 through the HP Solutions centre that I use successfully for controlling my other HP printers.  I do know that the ink that I installed today in the Deskjet 1220 has expired, so I don't know if that is causing the problem.  I realize that my newer HP printers give a warning message if ink has expired, and I have to press buttons to accept that.  

Any assistance would be much appreciated.  I have been a loyal HP fan for many many years, and have three HP desktops computers, and several HP printers (although only my Photosmart 3200 is currently working).

Kind regards, Pamela Richards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you!  I will try this now.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The Deskjet 1220c does not have any ink expiration.  You can open the lid with the power turned on and see where the carriage moves - it will point to the cartridge the printer is detecting as an issue as shown in the document here.  Cleaning the cartridge and printer contacts as shown in the document here may help resolve the issue.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank you!  I will try this now.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much, Mr. Headrick!  

I was not aware that the older cartridges of this type built up crystallization.  I have vigorously rubbed the gold cartridge contacts, and have had SUCCESS!  

Well, at least partial success so far!  The flashing light has stopped, and the cartridges are recognized by the printer!  Yay!

However, the test prints have revealed that only the magenta and cyan inks are printing, and not the black or yellow.  I installed brand new cartridges today which were still new in box, so I had hoped that all the colours would work once I rubbed off the crystalization.  I will try again tomorrow.  

I have had a number of ink cartridge failures DOA, which is VERY expensive with the colour cartridges for which I was paying over $100 each.  I will contact HP to see if they can replace some of my DOA cartridges.  

Thank you again for your help!  I am very grateful!  Best wishes, Pamela Richards

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.