Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@barob wrote:

What is the fix for a 32 bit Windows 7 user and why isn't this as simple to install as a full driver set?  This glitch and its fix is  outrageous.

What exactly is your issue?  What printer model?  The printers listed in this thread work fine with the driver provided in Windows 7 if you have a 32 bit system, the issue only affects 64 bit systems. 

As for the fix being "outrageous" - well, the printers listed are more than a dozen years old and long beyond their support life.  Many users here and in other forums where this is posted are happy to have a workaround to keep their printers working through five generations of operating systems that have been released since their printer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to undo this patch concerning the 720 series printer. I have bought another printer and can't

seem to get it to print. If anyone can help sure would love to hear ideas.

Thanks,

Linda

HP Recommended

ATTN   ALAN MORRIS

Can you help unpatch the patch you created?  Bought a different printer and can't get it to print, wondering if it has to do with

the patch??

Thanks,

Linda

HP Recommended

1958Linda wrote: [snip]

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to undo this patch concerning the 720 series printer. I have bought another printer and can't seem to get it to print. If anyone can help sure would love to hear ideas. [snip]

There should not be any reason to undo the patch if you have a 64 bit system.  What is your other printer model?  Unless it is one of the printers shown above the patch files will not have any effect whether you undo the patch or leave it.

It is virtually certain your issue is not related to the patch.  If you really want to undo the patch do the following: first go to the Devices and Printers folder and delete any occurences of the deskjet 710/720/810/820 and 1000 series printers.  Next  open an administrative DOS prompt then type the following: 

NET STOP SPOOLER

CD %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3

DEL hpvdb720.dll

DEL hpvdb820.dll

DEL hpwm5db1.dll

NET START SPOOLER

The patch is now removed.  Once you have verified that this does not make any difference for your case please post a new thread (not in this one) with details of your printer model, connection type, operating system and any error messages you see.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply, the new printer is a Kodak 7250  WiFi connection.  Been on the chat live help for over 2 hours trying to get the printer to work. I can scan documents into my laptop but printing is a different problem.  Any ideas?

Thank you,

Linda

HP Recommended

Bob H.,

A couple years ago I got a patch file from someone that got my HP 722c printer working in Vista 64 bit.  My printer just stopped printing because a registry cleaner took it away somehow.  I can't find a copy of it and am looking for it again.  I can't think of the web site or name of the person who supplied that patch but it worked.  I tiried copying the three DLL files to see if that works but it does not. I have brand new toner for it so I don't want to give it up.  Any suggestions?

Mike

HP Recommended

@mikec822 wrote:

Bob H.,

A couple years ago I got a patch file from someone that got my HP 722c printer working in Vista 64 bit.  My printer just stopped printing because a registry cleaner took it away somehow.  I can't find a copy of it and am looking for it again.  I can't think of the web site or name of the person who supplied that patch but it worked.  I tiried copying the three DLL files to see if that works but it does not. I have brand new toner for it so I don't want to give it up.  Any suggestions?

Mike

Registry cleaners are rarely useful and often a problem....

This is probably the same patch you got before, perhaps from Alan in the Microsfot Answers forum.  At any rate there are a few things to consider:  first you need to install the Deskjet 720c driver using Add a Printer and install the driver.  Make sure you are seelcting the appropriate port.  Are you using a USB-parallel cable?  If so make sure the drivers for the cable are installed as well. 

If this does not resolve the issue please provide some details of the problem you are seeing.  How is the printer connected?  What port is selected?  Does the driver install?  Do print jobs stay in the queue? Deos the spooler crash?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

Here are answers to your questions.

Problem:  send print jobs to printer and they just sit in queue

Using USB-Parallel cable

Port = USB Virtual Printer port

Installed HP 720c driver by adding printer thru Vista and it said it loaded just fine.

I have disk with drivers for cable however only drivers are for Win 95 and ME.  This cable and port and settings have been working almost two years. The patch that I got off a blog two years ago worked.  I am still looking to see if I have another copy of file somewhere.  I don't have blog site I got it from but cuold have been this one.  Once I installed that patch file it worked like a charm until the stupid registry cleaner software took it off.

HP Recommended

@mikec822 wrote:

Hi Bob,

Here are answers to your questions.

Problem:  send print jobs to printer and they just sit in queue

Using USB-Parallel cable

Port = USB Virtual Printer port

Installed HP 720c driver by adding printer thru Vista and it said it loaded just fine.

I have disk with drivers for cable however only drivers are for Win 95 and ME.  This cable and port and settings have been working almost two years. The patch that I got off a blog two years ago worked.  I am still looking to see if I have another copy of file somewhere.  I don't have blog site I got it from but cuold have been this one.  Once I installed that patch file it worked like a charm until the stupid registry cleaner software took it off.

If print jobs sit in the queue the most likely cause is the port selection or USB-parallel converter.  If the patch was not working or not applied correctly the spooler would crash and there would not be any jobs in the queue.  I would suggest going to the Device Manager and check for yellow warning triangles in the USB devices section.  Unplugging the USB-parallel converter, then deleting the USB hub, then plugging it back in and allowing Windows to rediscover the devices may resolve the issue.  If the converter worked previously it probably has driver support built in to Vista.  [This would be surprising for a converter originally designed for Windows 98/ME.  The posts here indicate models folks have had success with in Windows 7, it may help.]

You may be able to restore proper operation by doing a System Restore (see help and support) to a time prior to running the registry cleaner.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

does this patch work for deskjet825c?  My new HP laptop with Windows 7 is not accepting my printer that I've had awhile

thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.