Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the above printer connected via USB to my desktop (Win Vista 32-bit) and was previously connected to my laptop HP Pavilion dm3 (Win 7 64 bit) wirelessly - everything was fine for 12+ months. I have recently had BT infinity (fibre optic) broadband installed and the wireless light on the printer is always flashing and the laptop can't find the printer.

I've tried re-installing the printer (I think) by holding down the wireless button and then pressing the WPS button on the modem. Still getting flashing blue light. What can I do?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Jan1973, 

Follow the steps in the document below.

Installing the Printer Software on a Wireless Network

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi Jan1973, 

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

We are having a similar problem.

We have just moved to a new office. In our previous office we had sky broadband and we had the printer set up for wireless printing from laptop no problem.

In the new office we are with BT business broadband and the printer is no longer working by wireless on the same laptop.

The blue wireless light on the printer is flashing and the HP solution centre says printer is disconnected.

I have connected the printer with the USB to laptop and works fine.

Please help as to how we can get this back set up to work via wireless on our new broadband

Thanks in advance

regards

HP Recommended

Hi palagio,

Since you have changed internet providers and most likely using new network routers you will need to install the printer again to get the printer wireless connected to your new network. Below is a document which will assist you with installing the printer to your wireless network.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
This is for my mum really but I am the person who will need to fix as she is elderly. She called today to say the blue wireless light is flashing. I asked can she print she said no well it emerged she needed to change ink cartridge so we did that ( by the way I am on the phone as I live over 50 miles away) after that the blue light was still flashing. I said to switch off printer and switch back on and wait to reset. It still flashed I then asked my mum to print a document to see if the wireless was working and she could??? Which is baffling as the flashing means a connection problem? She has had the printer for 6+ months and no problems she changes to a new Router a month ago a BT HUB3 but no problems until today but as she can print I think she is ok but I am concerned about this blue light as it should not be flashing. Is it something I can go remotely into her Laptop and sort. I have remote access. Can some one advise please. Thank you.
HP Recommended

Hi IEL,

Yes, you are correct if the wireless light is blinking then this usually indicates that the printer is not connected to the network. The only thing you can check remotely would be to see if you can access the printers internal web server by typing the IP address assigned to the printer into the address bar of Internet Explorer to see if you are truly communicating with the printer over the network.

If you need to reconnect the printer to the network you would need to reinstall the printer following the steps to do a USB setup of wireless like you did when you first purchased the printer as this unit doesn't have a wireless setup wizard built into the control panel of the printer.

If she is still able to printer I would suggest making sure that your mom doesn't have a USB cable connected between the printer and computer. If there is no USB cable connected, and she is still able to printer, scan, ECT. Then I would suggest leaving as is unless you start having issues with using the printer. Let me know what you find out?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
Hello,
Thank you for your advice. And I am please to hear I was right in my thinking. I have checked this morning and the light is still flashing and there is no USB cab,e connected but she can still print so I am going to leave it alone until it stops printing as you advised.
Thank,you for your help with this problem.
Kind regards.
IEL
HP Recommended

HI IEL,

Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear the printer is working. It is always a pleasure assisting a customer with their questions. If you need any additional assistance please let us know. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

the laptop cannot recognise the printer

HP Recommended

Hi rafed,

I am an HP employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.