Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

:manfrustrated:In hopes that you would be listening and giving help for your on going problems that plagued this printer and make it right for us that use to like HP, but now you have shaken our faith in you!  This is the fourth product that has gone bad! First a hard drive that had a years warranty and you kept saying it was out of warranty when it was less then 3 months old, then my wife's printer, just out of warranty when the printer screen went blank, then my laptop screen went blank just after the warranty expired and the same for my HP desktop Monitor!  This is four times you could have at least made things right, but you have chosen not to! So to solve this I have chosen to go elsewhere for my computer products!!!! I now have a canon printer, an ASUS Monitor, and a Dell Laptop, for with the problems I had with HP that shouldn't have happened and this is your solution in fixing them!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

WOW!!  Like brand new.  Missing a few lines  but WOW!!

HP Recommended

Great fix!

BTW: I don't think it is the lid slamming down.   The thing goes bad just sitting around.   Had not used mine for over a couple of years since it was new.   I needed a wireless printer so I put into service again and the LCD was unreadable.  This is a manufacturing quality issue and is likely simple corrosion/contamination on the contact points or insufficient/unequal contact pressure.

That is, it goes bad in the box.

TTFN

HP Recommended
Paul, I followed all your steps correctly but can not see all the symbols on the screen. I did one last step and if I worked. Could add it to your procedure to help people. I did it and all symbols can see on the display.
HP Recommended

Read the two suggestions; finally tried a combo.

Ran my wife's hair dryer on high/hot about 4 inches from the ribbon for 30-45 seconds.

Then pushed a piece of smooth hard plastic over the connections on both ends.

Got 100% of pixels back!

HP Recommended

I got this message today from HP Community Mailer [HP.Support.Forum@hp.com]:

Did this reply resolve your post or question?

If yes, then share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by accepting this solution.
You can also show your appreciation by giving kudos.

We appreciate your feedback. It's what keeps our community such a helpful, vibrant place for our members.

Thanks for being a member!

The HP Support Forum Team

Lol. I just wonder if ANY HUMAN BEING at HP has ever seen ANY of the comments!

HP Recommended

Yup, add another user who gave enough of a **bleep** to register on the HP website to express his frustration with a 'dissolving' display screen. I looked at the post for the user who dismantled the printer. Didn't seem worth the risk to go through all that with an out of warranty printer. It was bad enough that Windows 7 came out and created a **bleep** storm of problems relating to the operations of the printer (as if HP didn't think Windows would upgrade from XP) The scan option was lost, I got it back but then Windows updates using Windows 7 corrupted that comeback. Shortly after I lost the wireless capabilities, but if I gave HP $80 they would give me a new warranty and tell me how I can get the functions working again! (This is the part I laughed out loud and said NO).

Dissapointed that HP just doesn't give a **bleep** to help without asking for a donation.  Help because it's your duty as a company!!

HP Recommended
Took some time and a few tries, but it worked! Thanks!
HP Recommended

Hey - just wanted to add my two cents worth - I followed all the steps that everyone recommended (from the initial pressing down with the screwdriver and pencil eraser to heating it up with a hair dryer) and I got mine absolutely PERFECT!  I didn't have quite the problem that many on here did (about ten or twelve lines of pixels that were dead), but it was annoying... and now it's all perfect!  Thanks so much to all the posters!:catvery-happy:

HP Recommended

I too had great success with this. I also used a hair dryer and found that the more heat I used the better. On my 4th attempt, I had the hair dryer on high about 3 inches away from the ribbon for 3 full minutes. Then I used a spline tool which had plastic wheels. This meant I didn't have to protect the ribbon with anything. I alternated between the two different wheels of the spline tool, the single ridge and the double ridged wheel. 

Oh, another thing I did was use a wooden shim with some indentations in it where the little prongs were protruding from the back of the circuit board. This way I could put plenty of pressure on the board without fear of breaking it. 

In the end, we had 100% of the pixels working. Thanks everyone for all the tips. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.