Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

If you buy HP then you are totally controlled by HP.   You can't print in black unless you have fresh colored ink.  Even when they think your print cartridges are "too old" they won't let you even print in black!  There is no way to override this. You can not override this by selecting  print in grayscale or black only.  If you want to print then you go buy ink when they tell you to go buy ink.  PERIOD.

HP printers will drive you to drink!  I promise you!!   At midnight when you need to print the most important paper of your life (in black) you will have to go buy a red ink catridge first!

Do not fall for the low cost of their printers.  It is only to make you buy tons of ink!!!!!!!  After you add up what you pay for in ink, you could have bought a top of the line printer that doesn't just "happen" to run out of ink every month. They will tell you that their printer does this because it is so technically advanced.  It's advanced alright. It is impressive on the ways they make you spend money on ink cartridges.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

You have not given enough data for a proper response (what printer model???), but there are very few models that enforce ink expiration.  The document here may help.

The models that enforce ink expiration have permanent or semi-permanent printheads separate from the ink supplies.  These printheads could be damaged with old more viscous ink.  They are also susceptible to clogging if one color is allowed to run out.

If you want to print with empty supplies HP has printers with integrated ink supplies and printheads.  These printers allow printing with one or more colors empty, or for many models even removed completely.

The document here has information on how ink is used for various printer technologies. Your printer is an IIC model.  The discussion in that document would generally apply to inkjet printers from any manufacturer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I will never ever buy HP printer again due to the stupid ink. It doesn't last long at all. You'd think I printed 5 dissertations when I use it rarely and have had to buy ink twice since I got it in September.  My old printer ink lasted months and months and didn't cost what HP does.  Piece of junk. I can only imagine how much printing my taxes in black cost me in ink. Not a pleasant thing to have to forward things to the office where the printer ink lasts months.

HP Recommended

What printer model? There are different models for different users and uses.  I have an Officejet 8600, the initial cartridges lasted about 6 months and I replaced them with the XL size cartridges and expect to get about a year of printing before then need replacement again.

There are a few considerations to minimize ink costs:

• Always keep the printer plugged into a live outlet.  If an outlet switch or other external switch is used to turn off the printer more ink will be used at startup.
  • Do not run unnecessary cleaning cycles.  It is rare that cleaning cycles are ever needed. Running unnecessary cleaning cycles will use more ink.
  • For everyday usage you may find that "Draft" mode gives acceptable quality.  Draft mode uses about half the ink of Normal or Best modes.
  • Depending on your printer model there may be XL cartridges that have higher page yields at a lower cost per page..
  • If your printer is eligible for the Instant Ink program you may find it can save considerably on ink costs, especially if you are printing photo's or other ink intensive prints.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I totally agree with this post. I will never buy HP printers or any HP product. I just dumped my HP 4520 all-in-one and bought Canon pixma. Never again HP. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.