Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an Officeject 6700 which double-sided print absolutely great on my previous Windows 7 laptop.  Since my new Windows 8 laptop (and ungraded to Windows 8.1), the double sided print is not working properly.  The margins are being rescaled in both Word and pdf documents.  If i go to the printer settings in Word and change to 'borderless printin', the margins stay correct but only Best quality print is allowed, this of course is not acceptable since i print hundreds of pages, and the settings automatically change to photo paper.  Please please help me with this????

I have uninstall and install the software from the hp website many times, but it all works the same.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Can you find "Preserve Layout" in the driver settings (Printer properties or Printer preferences). Typically, you want to set it to "No" to remove the scaling. This setting is normally in the "Advance" tab/option.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Though I work for HP, I'm speaking for myself and not HP. Just trying to help as much as I can
**Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
... or just a thumb up if you like my reply 🙂 **

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Can you find "Preserve Layout" in the driver settings (Printer properties or Printer preferences). Typically, you want to set it to "No" to remove the scaling. This setting is normally in the "Advance" tab/option.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Though I work for HP, I'm speaking for myself and not HP. Just trying to help as much as I can
**Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  It works perfectly.  This now is months of frustration - gone!!

HP Recommended

Glad I can help 🙂

HP Recommended

Ok, the problem is not completely solved....i have changed the setting as recommended and the left-right hand margins are perfect, but the header and footers are now being cut off.

This only happens when i double-sided print.

please please help?!?!

HP Recommended

There are a few checks/tests that you can try:

1. Can you check if the paper size setting is correct? i.e. are you printing A4 document to a Letter paper

2. DOes you print application support print preview? Application such as MS Word allows you to see the print preview. There you can check if the top and bottom content is cropped. If yes, you can adjust your document top and bottom margin (normally in page setup)

3. Make sure your header and footer is not too close to the edge of the paper. In order for the printer to perform duplex, it needs a minimim margin to hold the paper after printing on side and suck it back to print the other side

HP Recommended

Thanks but not working yet, but we are getting close!

I have a report that was printed via my previous laptop (Windows 7) and I see now that the left-right margins printed as set, but the top-bottom margins were increased automatically, to allow for the holding of the paper I assume.  If i print the same document now, it cuts off the top and bottom footer.

So the solution here would not be to change the margins in Word of the header/footer, but to set the printer so that it does it automatically (as it did previously).  I also print reports from various other people, so i can't change the margins of each document.

I have just tried a pdf doc - the double sided print does the same as originally (rescaling all the margins), even though the Preserve Layout = No.

The settings in both Word and Adobe is on A4.

Help?

HP Recommended

Interesting. It sounds like that the driver in Win7 and in Win8 have different top/bottom margin for duplex printing. This margins are normally hardcoded in the driver. Are you able to print the same document in single-page mode without cutoff at top/bottom? If yes, what is your test document's top/bottom margin (either in cm or inches)

As for the second issue (scaling with PDF even after preserve layout is OFF), try looking at the acrobat reader setting. When you select "Print", there is a "Page scaling" option. Make sure you set it to "none". Let me know if this works.

HP Recommended

In Word: margins are 2cm top&bottom and left&right and the header & footers are 1.27cm (standard Word setting).  It prints 100% when i do single sided. 

Previously, the printer rescaled the top&bottom margins automatically, with both Word and Pdf.

And in Adobe: the custom scaling is OFF. If the FIT button is ticked, the whole document is rescaled (as previously) and if ACTUAL SIZE is ticked, then it cut off the header and footer.

HP Recommended

Hi San1, I'm glad you got the PDF scaling issue resolved. So we can focus on the top/bottom margin cut-off issue.

Now the problem that I'm seeing here is that typically this margins are not user modifiable (it's hardcoded in the driver). I'll do some little research on this and get back to this thread if I found one. In the meantime if you feel of some trial-and-error test, you may want to try printing with different drivers and see if the margins are better.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.