Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Greetings.  How do I enable double sided scanning on my new OfficeJet Pro 8610?  I can't seem to find the setting anywhere.

Thanks,

daniel

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

My problem was the same with the HP 8610.  This model does not have the capability of automatic two side copying.  I sent HP a copy of the advertising that specified "automatic two sided copying".  They had approved the add, so they (HP) sent me a similar printer that would print two sided copying.

this was done nearly a year ago.

HP Recommended

The Officejet Pro 8610 can make automatic double sided copies, but only from single sided originals with the 1->2 sided copy option.  I do not have an 8610, I have had direct experience with the 8600 Plus, 8600 Premium, 8620 and Officejet Pro 276dw, all of which have the option for 2->2 sided copy (in addition to 1->1, 1->2 and 2->1 copying).  The Officejet Pro 8610 does not have this option.

I will ask @greenturtle to  step into this thread, he may have some experience with the Officejet Pro 8610 in terms of manually scanning two sided documents and may have some comments on the scan and copy features for the Officejet Pro 8710, 8720, 8730 and 8740 as well.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

HI @Bob_Headrick

Thanks.

Hi All,

The Officejet Pro 8610 only scans Simplex (1-sided).  In order to Copy/Scan 2-sided using the ADF, you will need to manually reload the document into the ADF to scan.  

For Scanning, this is likened to scanning Multiple pages where the user selects "Add Pages" to and reloads the document into the ADF.

This relevant resource will show you the concept of scanning 2-sided using the HP Officejet Pro 8610 - intead of putting it on the Flatbed(Glass), we reload it into the ADF:

Scanning multiple pages using the ADF and Scan Glass

Now for the new Officejet Pro 8700 AIO series:

The Officejet Pro 8710/8720/8730/8740  ADF scans 2-sided - Automatically.

For the new Officejet Pro 8700 AIO Series, here's some quick tidbits on the ADF scanning capability.  Please refer to the specifications of the Printers for the official information.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA6-4026ENUC.pdf

Officejet Pro 8710, 8720, 8730, 8740 ADF Scan and Copy capability:

Officejet Pro 8710/8720 - Able to Scan and copies Both sides automatically. The ADF scan/copy one side, then flips the document automatically to scan/copy the 2nd side.  8710 scan speed is slower than 8720 though.

Officejet Pro 8730/8740 - Able to Scan and Copy both sides in one pass.  The ADF scanner is able to scan/copy a 2-sided document in one pass.  

Hope that helps.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Do not bother trying.  Take the unit back and if you insist with staying with HP, try the 8620 or 8630

HP Recommended

Hi @hpdistractor

DId a physical check with one HP Officejet Pro 8710 and found that it does indeed supports Automatic 2-sided scanning/copying!  This is an improvement over the HP Officejet 8610, where it only scans/copy 1 side at a time.

Have changed the previous post to correct this.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Thanks Greent*.........I will ck out the 8710.  While I have consistently extolled the "output" of the HP products, all the rest of their failures (customer service, marketing, w-site, etc) have dimmed my desire for their products

Thank you for the further research

HP Recommended

Hi @hpdistractor

Thanks. If you are interested in seeing the 2-sided feature of the Officejet Pro 8710/8720/9730 in action, the following resource may interest you :

HP Officejet Pro 8710 / 8720 /8730 /8740 : Copy & Scan a 2 sided document using the ADF

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Thank you for advising I review the the video for the HP 8700 series of printers.  It just reaffirmed my decision to change manuf.  The 2-sided to 2-sided copy feature took approx 32 seconds to complete one page.  And referring to the 2-sided scanning, you need to complete this procedure from the computer not the printer.  One of the probs with the 8610 was that the disk that you preload when setting up the printer DOES NOT set up various features advertized for the 8610; I unloaded and reloaded the disk at least 5 times in attempting to correct the probs (scanning to email, scanning to file, etc).

The video showed the 2-sided copying 4 times before it showed the2-sided scanning feature.

It is obvious HP is trying to address the 2-sided feature by "bandating" their current software (on the 8700 series) rather than redoing it so it "seams" efficiently.  Too bad it did not take the time to do it properly thereby needing only one (possibly two) superb printer(s) rather than four in the same series

Thank you again for your patience and past communications.  I believe my mind is made up to change manufacturers since I use the 2-sided feature 40% of the time.

HP Recommended

HI @hpdistractor

Thanks for your feedback.  We strive to make better products.

Spoiler
The 2-sided to 2-sided copy feature took approx 32 seconds to complete one page.  And referring to the 2-sided scanning, you need to complete this procedure from the computer not the printer.

There are different scanning specs across the different OJP 8700 series.  So users pick and choose whichever one that suits their needs.  Moreover, you can Scan 2 sided from the front panel to the computer, there is a feature called "Scan to Computer".  

Even if a user Scans to Computer, the computer must be turned on and available.

Scan to Email, Scan to folder etc needs to be configured.  Would be interested if you could advise any manufacturer that knows what email and folder the user wants during the initial install.

Spoiler

The video showed the 2-sided copying 4 times before it showed the2-sided scanning feature

The 8710/8720 is using a Mechanical means to scan 2-sides (hence the flipping of page) while the 8730/8740 uses an E-scanner to scan 2 sides in one pass.  There are different specs for the different models depending on user needs.

We hope that you find a manufacturer that meets your needs.

Have a nice day!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.