Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
07-11-2017 04:40 PM
My laptop (HP 15 Notebook PC, J9H11UA#ABA, using Win 10 Home 64-bit) will not fully recognize my HP Envy 5530 printer. I continue to get the "Driver is Unavailable" message when looking under Settings - Printers & Scanners. Thus I cannot print.
I've tried using the HP Smart app, uninstalling and reinstalling the latest drivers, and everything I can find on the support forums, to no avail.
The printer will print diagnostic and test report pages without difficulty. It simply will not print (is not recognized by) any program (Google Chrome or LibreOffice Writer, for example).
The 5530 will scan using the HP Smart app, which sees the printer and displays the information for it (serial #, ink levels, etc.). However, when I click on the print button, I get a window that says "Install to Print" which explains that the printer is detected but not installed. I have followed the instructions in the app to install the printer software, but it still won't let me print.
It's possible that it's a laptop malfunction, since the optical drive stopped recognizing discs of any type a couple of weeks ago (music CD, data CD, software CD/DVD or movie DVD). Software problem or is something getting ready to die on the laptop?
Thanks in advance for your help.
07-12-2017 04:56 PM
Thanks for visiting the HP community. 🙂 A very good day to you! 🙂 I read the post regarding the printer not getting installed after resetting the computer back to Windows 10 factory settings. I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂
You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Superb effort and spectacular research were done as well. 🙂 Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 . I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂
For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:
- Did you try to uninstall the printer completely and reinstall it from the HP support site?
- Did you run HP print and scan doctor and check if it gets fixed?
For a start please perform these steps:
Please run the HP print and scan doctor from here http://hp.care/2syjvp6; and check if the issue gets resolved.
If it does not please uninstall the printer software by performing these steps:
- In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
- Select your HP printer.
- Select Uninstall.
- In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
- In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
- Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
- Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
- Click on Drivers tab.
- Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
- Select OK.
- Remove all instances of the same.
- Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
- Close Devices and Printers.
- Restart the PC again.
Then download the latest full feature driver from http://hp.care/2sRmB5a for this printer and install it on the computer after selecting the correct operating system.
Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. This will do the trick for you.
Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂
Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!
To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.
Take care and have a superb week ahead. 🙂
I am an HP Employee
08-15-2018 09:22 AM
David, I tried the procedure you had listed and I still get the same result, "Driver not installed". I am trying to install the printer as a wireless device. I have had this printer for 3-4 years now and it has worked fine except for recently when it just would not print. I have tried removing the printer but on the bottem of the Devices window it jsut says removing device and never completes this task. Any other ideas short of junking the printer??
08-15-2018 09:57 AM
Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!
I work on behalf of HP