Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Officejet 7310 All in one printer which has been working fine for many years doing duplex printing.  After the 'upgrade' to windows 10 I managed to download the revised printer software but it will not accept the duplex printer.  I have gone through the print prefereneces and set it as duplex - antomatically but every time you you click on the 'Finishing' tab it only prvides the - Print On Both Sides (Manually) option.  Am I doing something wrong?  Any help will be much appreciated.

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to Installed rather than Not installed.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue. HP6480 with duplex module. Printed duplex for years but now while the Windows 10 "upgrade"  will let me select "automatic duplex" from a variety of programs, it keeps then telling me that I don't have the duplex module installed so it will print simplex. Printer Properties / Device Settings already shows Duplex unit "Installed". Windows 10 x64

Any suggestions would be really really appreciated. Thanks

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with the same printer (HP OJ J6480).

I installed windows 10 and now the printer will not duplex print. I made sure that the "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers" config  had set the Printer Properties / Device Settings / Installable Options / Duplex Unit = Installed
Is this a problem with Windows 10?

When I connect to this printer from a Win7 x64 PC and load the drivers from the Win10 PC the duplexer works good on the Win7 PC.

HP Recommended

I'd guess that there is some sort of 'discovery' feature which is not working with these printer drivers - i.e. driver bug.

Not sure whether HP or MS are responsible for these.

I can't do any experimentation, since I do not have access to either of the mentioned printers (Officejet 7310, OJ J6480).

My two LaserJet printers (LaserJet 1320n, LaserJet Pro 400 Colour MFP M475dn) will both print duplex jobs OK using Windows 10 drivers.

HP Recommended

Manually  "adding the Duplex Unit" does work... but it seems that Windows 10 forgets this setting periodically, probably because it's being overwritten during one of the automatic updates. THAT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

I've mostly been happy with Win10, but some elements, such as this, show surprising regressions...

HP Recommended

Manually  "adding the Duplex Unit" does work...........................How do you do  "Manually  "adding the Duplex Unit"  I've spend hours trying to sort this problem out. Every combination of settings how do you manually add the duplex unit....it's alreafy fitted to the back of the printer so ???????

HP Recommended

I have a Color Laserjet CP2025dn.  It worked for 2 years with Windows 7.  I upgraded to Windows 10 and have had nothing but issues with the duplexer now.  I have went in and manually added it in but it still will not work.  Has anybody figured out a solution.

HP Recommended

Since many many years I own a HP Color Laserjet 2550L for home and small office use and it has been a marvelous device ever since. It's fast, it prints perfect quality prints, it's easy to use and it has been reliable. Hardware wise that is... 

I started using this printer on Windows XP. The printer software came from HP and was very complete. Monitoring and configuring the HP2550L was easy and manual duplex printing was a default option in the driver software.

Over time I upgraded to Windows 7 and trouble was introduced. Manual duplex printing disappeared from the 2550L driver in Windows 7 but after a driver tweak, installing the Laserjet 2700 driver returned the option, we all got along again and lived happily ever after... till Windows 10 showed up.

Now Microsoft and HP, what the heck...!? Manual duplex printing is gone, even for the 2700 PCL driver, printer sharing over the network is a nightmare and the 2550 PCL driver is slow as hell. After hours of trial and error figuring out installing the 2550 PS driver returns fast printing, this whole experience for me as an end users has been an experience of frustration and horror.

So looking back at this whole "experience" I’m wondering if this is deliberately planned “product lifecycle management” by HP and Microsoft? HP, please tell me, it’s all about the money right? Am I supposed to use my Laserjet printer longer than 7 years? You probably want me to buy a new printer to get all functionality back I got in the first place? To start the frustrating and same process all over again to make me buy a new printer in about 5-7 years. Well I’m not buying it.

What a great system capitalism is and really healthy for our planet too... 😞

HP Recommended

Here is how I resolved problem for my HPLaserJet P2015 when I lost the ability to select manual duplex printing after upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10:

Go to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Devices and Printers

Right click on HP LaserJetP2015 (or your printer name)

Printer Properties

Advanced

Driver

Click on HP LaserJet P2015 PCL6 (or your printer name with PCL6) instead of HP LaserJet P2015 PCL6 Class Driver.

The manual duplex printing now works.

Seems the PCL6 Class Driver was the problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.