Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi 

Can I do dye-sublimation on HP designjet Z6200? If not, What changes do I need to make to Z6200 printer to run water-based Dye-Sublimation inks on it?

Also Can its inkjet thermal print-head handle water-based inks as well as reactive-inks (for direct printing on fabrics)

Fahad

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
Hi Fahad,

I far as I know, ink manufacturers produce Dye-Sub & Acid inks for Piezo printheads, I have never heard about Dye-Sub ink formulation for thermal print heads. If you can find a good supplier, the rest is some how easy. Although, I wouldn't recommend such transformation.
HP Recommended
Hi Ahmad

The advantage with HP is the fast speed at its price range. If not HP, which printer do you think is the fastest dye-sub printer at this price range (USD 20k-25k)
HP Recommended
Well I agree with you about the speed and durability, I have 3 Z6100 running for over 5 years now and they are still perfect.
The problems are:
1- Very hard to find quality ink for thermal print head.
2- You will have to invest in bulk ink system
3- You will have to withdraw original ink and replace it with Dye-Sub ink for any new printhead you need to install, which is a task that requires time and high skills.

The alternative is to buy another reputable brand equipped with DX7 printhead. There are lots within your budget. Also there several models specially tuned for sublimation. My only advise is NEVER BUY A CHINESE CLONE.
HP Recommended

hi Ahmad

Thanks for your detailed response. Regarding your point 3, kindly confirm:

1. do we also need to change the ink-delivery-system (as in the pipes that bring the ink from bottles to the head)

2. by installing new printhead, do you mean to install a new HP thermal printhead or the DX7 printhead.

HP Recommended
Hi Fahad,

As for point 3, you need to do the following:
A1- Use bulk ink system instead of OEM cartridges.
A2- Use chip decoder to be able to use the bulk ink system.
A3- No need to change the pipes or any other parts .

B1- Z6200 printheads holds bout 30 ml of ink inside, this amount of ink has to be drained and cleaned perfectly before using another type of ink to avoid contamination, which is as mentioned before, requires skills.

B2- There is no way to install DX7 printheads in an HP printer.
HP Recommended

Hi Ahmad

Thank you for your detailed guidance. There are also some details that I would like to discuss with you through email or preferably by phone, to get a better understanding of the matter.If its OK with you please be kind to send your contact info at my email address Fahad@NortalCorporation.com and the time of the day when I can contact you (If by phone)

Regards

Fahad

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.