Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
MFP M277DW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

MFP M277DW can be set up EITERH for ethernet connection to Windows 10 desktop OR wireless (not WiFi direct). servicing several Macbooks OS10.

What can I do to enable both printer connections simultaneously?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

No.  There is no need to have both.  Only one IP address per device.  Once the Ethernet cable is plugged in, the wireless is disabled automatically.

HP Recommended

Let me see if I understand;

I do want both ethernet AND wireless enabled at the same time. Ethernet to serve the desktop and wireless to serve the Macbooks.

I think you are saying the M277 can only support one OR the other at any given time. Correct understanding?

HP Recommended

ALL computers will work either wired or wireless period.   You are talking to the printer through the router.  Doesn't matter if it's wired or wireless.

HP Recommended

Thanks ST.  Seems like we are talking past one another.

The M277 does support ethernet connected printing OR wireless printing. What I cannot acheive is getting the M277 to support both at the same time.

- i have to unplug ethernet to get the M277 to configure wireless, works well and wireless printing is excelllent.

- however when I reconnect the ethernet cable, the wireless functon stops working meaning computers wirelessly connected can no longer print to the M277.

HP Recommended

Yes, like I said...  You can have wired Ethernet OR wireless....NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.

HP Recommended

I am very disappointed that the spec for the M277DW does not state that it is not possible to use Ethernet and wifi simultaneously. I have purchased the M277DW assuming I could use the printer from all devices on my network. It must be a very frequent small business or domestic scenario to have two or more desktops connected by wired ethernet and other devices such as laptops, tablets, phones etc connected by wifi.

HP Recommended

@Orestan wrote:

I am very disappointed that the spec for the M277DW does not state that it is not possible to use Ethernet and wifi simultaneously. I have purchased the M277DW assuming I could use the printer from all devices on my network. It must be a very frequent small business or domestic scenario to have two or more desktops connected by wired ethernet and other devices such as laptops, tablets, phones etc connected by wifi.

All manufactures have the same spec.  You can only connect one device to your network at a time.  Only 1 IP address allowed per device, whether it be Wireless or Ethernet it does not matter.  All devices will connect and print to the printer however it is connected. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help Sabretooth04.

To clarify, are you saying that in order to use the printer with a wifi device eg laptop, I must first unplug the ethernet cable from the printer?

HP Recommended

@Orestan wrote:

Thanks for your help Sabretooth04.

To clarify, are you saying that in order to use the printer with a wifi device eg laptop, I must first unplug the ethernet cable from the printer?

The Wireless Radio in the printer which connects to your router will be disabled when the Ethernet cable is connected to the printer and then plugged into the router.   This is because you can not connect to the router with 2 different connections.  No home printer will allow this. 

You can have USB and Wireless or USB and Ethernet, not both.   Also you don't need the printers Wireless Direct enabled if you are using a router.  Wireless Direct is only used if you do not have a router and you connect to the internet via your cell service.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.