Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 7640 all-in-one
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I am very disappointed with my purchase of the HP Envy 7640 all-in-one printer. I had several HP printers in the past that I used for years on end without issue and this printer has never worked correctly for me....not even one time. 

I am constantly getting a "paper tray empty" error message on my printer que window however there is paper in the tray (approx. 50 sheets). No matter what I do, restart, unplug and reboot, uninstall and reinstall the printer, etc. the system will not kick into gear and work and detect that there is paper in the tray and there's no way to override this to get the printer to print. 

Sometimes, hours or days later, it will suddenly turn on and print a job from a day ago and still have the "paper tray empty" error showing on my computer so I am at a complete loss as to what is going on. The printer is connected wirelessly to my laptop and all internet connections are working just fine. 

Also, I have had to replace the ink cartridges several times already (around 2 weeks or so of very very minimal text only printing usage) which is a JOKE. 

I work from home and depend on a reliable and cost-effective printer and am EXTREMELY unhappy and frustrated with this purchase and by looking at the support forum threads, seems I'm not the only one that feels this way. 

Nothing has worked to solve my issue that I have tried. Sometimes, when I log onto hp.com and look at support threads, the printer will magically start printing.....what's the deal HP?!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

HI @marandam,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your printing issue.

I understand that you are getting an "Out of Paper" message when trying to print from your Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan computer to an HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer. I would like to help with that.

One of the steps suggested if you are loading the input tray to its capacity of 50 sheets is to reduce the number of sheets being loaded into the input tray. Sometimes that can help.

Here is the support document intended for use with this issue - 'Out of Paper' Message Displays on the Control Panel and the Printer Does Not Pick Up Paper.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

This suggestion did not work at all. The computer is still showing "paper tray empty" error whether or not there is a few sheets of paper or 50 sheets of paper in the printer. Also, the computer isn't responding or even making noise like it's receiving the signal to print so it's not a feeder issue. 

My printer has been shutting itself down and hasn't been working properly overall which is an issue. Again, trying to print....get the same error message....need to turn my printer on manually (unplug and replug for it to even turn on)...and still nothing prints. 

Help. This is getting to be ridiculous. 

HP Recommended

Hi @marandam,

I would try resetting the Mac's printing system.

If you are unsure how to reset the printing system, here is an Apple Support document that can help - Reset the printing system.

After resetting the printing system, the printer will need to be added back to the Printers and Scanners window. You will want to make sure that you are selecting the "HP Envy 7640 series" driver instead of the "AirPrint" driver in the "Use" drop down menu on the "Add" printer window. Here is a document that can help with that if needed - Add or remove a printer.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Tried this. Doesn't work. 

Can I speak to an actual human about this? My printer is less than a year old. Still showing paper tray empty and will not print no matter how much or how little paper I put into the printer. 

I am at my wit's end as I work from home and this is costing me serious time and money not being able to print. 

Please stop with the generic replies and actually read my full problem and answer me back regarding my specific issue. 

HP Recommended

Hi @marandam,

Yes, you can definitely speak with an HP Tech Support Agent directly. That would have been my next suggestion.

What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I'm going to pile on here.  Getting the same "paper tray is empty" error on the same printer, attached to my Mac.  However, this is a new error for me, I've had this printer for over a year and virtually no other problems.  The strange thing is, I had to delete and re-add the printer to get it to print, but even while printing it still displays the empty paper tray error.  What's up with that?

HP Recommended

Hi @cvallent,

Thanks for joining the HP Support Forums!

I see that you're unable to get rid of the "Paper Tray Empty Error" on your HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer. I would be happy to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

Have you tried all of the suggestions recommended by my colleague @rb011 on this thread?

It sounds as though the error message is on the Printer, rather than the computer. Is this correct?

Which operating system are you running?

Please download and run the Print and Scan Doctor, it will likely diagnose and resolve the issue you are experiencing. The PSDR can clear a false error state from the printer.

• What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor (did it print or scan, any error messages)?
  • How is the printer connected (USB, wireless/Wireless Direct)?
  • Are you able to perform a copy?

At this point, I recommend that we perform a Semi-Full Reset to see if that resolves the problem. I can send you that information in a private message. In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it. This will set the printer back to factory default settings. The network would have to be configured again.

If you completed all the preceding steps and your product still has an issue, service the product.

Contacting HP for service in all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
First, go to Check your product warranty to check your printer warranty status, and then go to Contact HP Support to find an authorized service dealer or to schedule a repair.
Check Warranty Status: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/wc/public/home 
Repair fees might apply for out-of-warranty printers.
What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process: 
Step 1. Open link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options" 
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number 
Case number and phone number appear. 

I hope this information is helpful. Please respond to this post with the results. Good Luck! 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Please advise me on how to resolve this issue.  My printer also keeps saying that the tray is out of paper.  I have tried resetting the printer and this did not help.  I also have a MAC.  The printer turns itself off and no mater how I reload the paper, it still says the tray is empty.  (on my computer) 

I also tried the print scan Doctor but my Mac could not open it after it downloaded.

This is frustrating.

Donna

HP Recommended

Perhaps my Envy 7640, MAC OS 10.11.6, "Paper Tray Empty Error" problem is unique, tho related.

I get the error message only when trying to print from my MacBookPro and Samsung HP App which both worked fine since I bought the HP Envy 7640 in May 2016 until January 2017. 

I can print ONLY when using ePrint.  Email connections show fine.

I tried turning off and on the printer so far. Do I need to go thru all the routines you show above for other users?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.