Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hp Deskjet 2540 series : On windows 8

Im having trouble Installing my printer...  Error 1722 Failed to add port monitor Hp Discovery Port Monitor

The Windows Print Spoller Serive could not be started and must be running in order for installation to succeed.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi Anthony99jr,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! Smiley Happy I see when you try to install your HP Deskjet 2540 to your computer running Windows 8 you get an 'Error 1722 Failed to add port monitor Hp Discovery Port Monitor' message.

Please try Disabling your firewall and running the installation to see if that allows you to install, if that does not work try a clean boot and re run the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows it was created to help Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 users download and install the latest and most appropriate HP software solution for their HP Printer.

If you are still running into installation errors, continue here: HP Printers - A 'Fatal Error' (MSI error) Displays on the Computer During HP Software Installation i...

Please let me know the outcome, I will watch for your reply.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi there I have th esame problem except only with the HP 6830 Pro and I disabled firewalls and nope it doesn't work

HP Recommended

Hi @Jadi,

I see you are running into the same problem, I understand you disabled your Firewalls but are still getting the error message.

What happened when you tried the clean boot and reinstalling the software and drivers?

What were the results when you completed the troubleshooting recommendations listed here: HP Printers - A 'Fatal Error' (MSI error) Displays on the Computer During HP Software Installation i...

I look forward to hearing from you, leave me with the following information:

1. Which version of the Windows Operating system are you using?

2. How is the printer connected, USB or Wireless?

Click here to download and run the Print and Scan Doctor > www.hp.com/go/tools- It was designed by HP to provide users with the troubleshooting and problem solving features needed to resolve many common problems experienced with HP print and scan products connected to Windows-based computers.

Please let me know what the PSDR finds, I will watch for your reply!

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have the windows 10  free upgrade on my laptop and i have tried and tried to get my printer to work again,    i think i have tried everything with no luck,    HELP please

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.