Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 4650

I just started installing my new OfficeJet 4650. Got a message to "Remove and reinstall the ink cartridg." Tried that several times, got the same message. Went out and bought a new cartridge, like the message said. Still can't get past this error.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@starbusiness,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that you get an error message "Remove and reinstall the ink cartridge" on your HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer and I also see that you have already replaced the cartridge.

This issue could occur if the electrical contacts on the printer or the cartridge are not working.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: http://hp.care/2gyXs8G

If the issue still persists, then you may need to contact phone support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

I wanted to thank the person (doughjohn) who said to put tape on the new cartridge, unplug the printer to reboot it.   That didn't work for me I tried it step by step  but what I found out was when I removed the black XL cartridge the color cartridge alone would work then I reinstalled the old black reg cartridge and it printed just without ink on it since the old one was out of ink.  It did sound like it was printing though.  That then told me the printer could print.  HP Tech support worked 3 hours on it and then referred me to their tech support 1-866-442-7039 telling me probably the head went bad.  Instead we took the 62 Black Ink XL Cartridge back to Walmart and bought just a reguar 62 Black Ink.  It works!  So not sure if it was just a bad ink cartridge or the XL doesn't work.  Thank you Walmart for working with us.  Good news is it is working again.  My printer is new only use maybe 8 times so wasn't sure why HP thought it needed a new head.  I never do these types of blogs (first time) but I was so frustrated that I felt a need to help someone else like the gentlemen did for me.  Good luck!

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same problem. I paid a lot of money for this printer and the cartrigdge. I have generally been very unhappy with it. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.