cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
UteMtn
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Fax error code 388 - how to resolve

Greetings, I just set our J6480 up for sending and receiving faxes. I have tested it and am able to receive faxes but get error 388 when I try to send out a fax. I have set the J6480 to use the same line that our other fax machine used before it died on Tuesday, (Ricoh fax/copier). We didn't have any problems sending out faxes until now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance. UteMtn

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Level 10
4,641 4,604 367 875
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@UteMtn
I would take a look at the document below it describes what every fax error code means. It looks like the 388 error message means to much noise on the line.

Fax Error Codes

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
sgcromer
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I use a "BASIC TALK" (phone line over the internet) (VOIP). and the *388 Error just started...

I thought about it after reading the error message "line too noisy"  (I tried resetting all devices - didn't help)

so, i slowed my fax down to 9600baud (it worked) and then tried 14400baud (it worked), but not for the faster 33600baud (didn't work) 

So, with me being on the internet for a telephone line, who cares about the speed, it's free long distance.. i just reduced my line speed.

to do the "REDUCED" line speed, I went to ADVANCED FAX SETTINGs in my menu and choose LINE SPEED.

0 Kudos
Carolannharlan
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

We have MOBILE NATION cell and home. We can't fax. Any suggestion. Hate not being able to fax.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation