Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Greetings, I just set our J6480 up for sending and receiving faxes. I have tested it and am able to receive faxes but get error 388 when I try to send out a fax. I have set the J6480 to use the same line that our other fax machine used before it died on Tuesday, (Ricoh fax/copier). We didn't have any problems sending out faxes until now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance. UteMtn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@UteMtn
I would take a look at the document below it describes what every fax error code means. It looks like the 388 error message means to much noise on the line.

Fax Error Codes

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@UteMtn
I would take a look at the document below it describes what every fax error code means. It looks like the 388 error message means to much noise on the line.

Fax Error Codes

HP Recommended

I use a "BASIC TALK" (phone line over the internet) (VOIP). and the *388 Error just started...

I thought about it after reading the error message "line too noisy"  (I tried resetting all devices - didn't help)

so, i slowed my fax down to 9600baud (it worked) and then tried 14400baud (it worked), but not for the faster 33600baud (didn't work) 

So, with me being on the internet for a telephone line, who cares about the speed, it's free long distance.. i just reduced my line speed.

to do the "REDUCED" line speed, I went to ADVANCED FAX SETTINGs in my menu and choose LINE SPEED.

HP Recommended
We have MOBILE NATION cell and home. We can't fax. Any suggestion. Hate not being able to fax.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.