Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I recently read about the firmware update that killed support for third party ink cartridges and I want HP to know this will eliminate HP printers from our buy list.

If we hear that the DRM firmware has been removed and we can once again use third party Ink Cartridges then I will reconsider, although I will have a bad taste in my mouth that may not go away...

BAD MOVE, HP.  You will almost certainly lose revenue as a result, if people stop buying your printers then they will not need your ink either.  A

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @xgecko

Please refer to the HP Newsroom article on this topic...

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-news/press-release.html?id=2335831#.V-**bleep**PkrLmE

Regards, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Same thing happend to me and many other HP users. The press release is an arrogant corporate bla bla way of saying: We have found a way to trash millions of functioning, more or less full non-HP ink cartridges and force customers to buy new HP cartridges in order to boost our profits. This is BTW not the environmentally friendly HP that it claims to be, rather the greedy opposite.

There is absolutely nothing innovative in this move that is worth protecting. HP sold me a printer that I knew was working with non-HP cartridges. The FW update took this away. This is not innovation or intellectual property, it is a damage intentionally done by HP to MY property just for the sake to monopolize ink cartridge sales. HP marketing, legal, and product managers: get real! It is customers like us who pay your lunch, but we will not be patronized the way you think! Fix this, or this will be the last HP product I have ever bought, and I will let everyone know within reach to do the same. So much for your next lunch....

I can only hope that as many users as possible come together to[edit] on this issue, unless HP swiftly provides compensation for the damage they did! Corporate weaselish just makes matters worse. Let´s hear a true proposal in less than a week. You can do it! (If you want)

HP Recommended

Hi @Nevar1

The IP protection is for the security chip. As per the article, refills & remans with the proper chip will work. 

Regards, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Hi Chiara,

I have read that, and  it is no consolation whatsoever!

It still means that HP has prematurely trashed millions of functioning cartridges. By HP taking something away from the product that I own, I am left with a damage of some 50 Euros at the very least. How do you want to compensate for that? Regurgitating the PR won´t cut it.

I also cannot see what that has to do with "security" of any sort. Does HP consider no-name cartridge vendors as terrorists?

Please stop thinking and acting like your customers are stupid.

HP Recommended

The post here indicates the new firmware is now available for download that addresses this issue.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.