Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have this problem too, with a brand new 8715 printer.

It's agnostic of whether I print from iPhone, Mac or PC.

The problem is clearly with the printer - not the drivers.

I've written firmware for devices like this for many years and to me it looks like a pretty simple bug, as a result of variable declaration by the programmer but not proper variable initiation - the pointers in the printer image buffer aren't being correctly initialised whenever the printer comes out of sleep mode, so when the printer receives the first page image it appends it to a random chunk of garbage in the buffer memory space, which is what you see on the right of the page. Sometimes that is nothing. At other times it is significant, which is why the size of the margin varies. I suspect by the look of it, it is only the LSB (Least significant byte) that isn't being initialised as the margin is never that big relative to the page.After receiving the first page the image buffer pointers are then correctly reset, and off it goes, working perfectly well until it goes to sleep again.

There's nothing any of us can do to fix this with PC or phone settings - it needs a firmware fix in the printer itself.

Unfortunately it's not possible to suspend the sleep mode - the longest time-out is 15 minutes, so I recommend setting it to that.

HP - PLEASE TAKE NOTE AND FIX THIS PROBLEM.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP's support team has provided excellent service. I'm really impressed by how seriously they took the problem and how quickly they acted to resolve it; I'm glad I bought an HP product.

After running various tests and resets from hidden menus, which didn't make any difference, I was sent a new print head (+new cartridges as you can't activate a new print head without new cartridges). I installed it and everyhing has worked 100% since.

The 'blurry page' overprinting problem appears to be with a print head firmware incompatibility between the RevX.02 print head and the xxxxxBR version of the HP OfficeJet printer firmware. People on this thread with identical OfficeJet printers noted that the ones with xxxxAR firmware didn't experience the problem, but the later xxxxBR ones do, but clearly only with an earlier print head version.

Thank you HP.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @PB_Pages,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.  

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends).  

Response times may vary by region. Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
It's crazy how it keeps happening. And it's not just the first page of the day. It can happen a couple of times/day. Truly annoying.
I'm not a techy, but did try going into Applications; Printers & Scanners; HP 8720; Options & Supplies; Supply Levels (on General tab); More Info.....this took me to web page. I then went Tools; Utilities; Print Quality Toolbox; Align Printer "ALIGN"....waited for test page...OK...done
I hoped this would be the miracle. It wasn't. And I was so proud of myself for getting this deep into the whatchamacallits of the machine. Bummer.
But, a new problem started: now and then the pages are squished coming thru the printer and they look like they've been beat up.
I really was hoping to have found the answer. Ugh. I'm the type who prints out something in a rush then closes or logs out of whatever. And then when I grab the printout later, discover this. So then I have to log back in, yada, yada. Pain in the whoozypotsie.
I have 2 new HP printers, the 8720 and the Premium 8600. The 86' can be in sleep mode for weeks and it's never done this, whereas the 8720 can be asleep for 5 minutes and it'll do it. I love my HP's, but I'm not loving this.
I think HP should do a recall of these and swap them for a different printer, new and not a refurb, and make sure the replacements use the same exact ink since I'm sure others like me have spare cartridges on hand.
There's gotta be many others out there with the same problem who haven't discovered this forum. Perhaps they didn't bother to register; but we did. Come on HP, show us the loyalty we show you.
Peace everybody! (and to the technical guy 'pb pages': great reply!)
HP Recommended

HP's support team has provided excellent service. I'm really impressed by how seriously they took the problem and how quickly they acted to resolve it; I'm glad I bought an HP product.

After running various tests and resets from hidden menus, which didn't make any difference, I was sent a new print head (+new cartridges as you can't activate a new print head without new cartridges). I installed it and everyhing has worked 100% since.

The 'blurry page' overprinting problem appears to be with a print head firmware incompatibility between the RevX.02 print head and the xxxxxBR version of the HP OfficeJet printer firmware. People on this thread with identical OfficeJet printers noted that the ones with xxxxAR firmware didn't experience the problem, but the later xxxxBR ones do, but clearly only with an earlier print head version.

Thank you HP.

HP Recommended

I have firmware ending with    xxxxxAR and still have this issue.  I started another post about this.

HP Recommended

I ahve the exact same problem with blurry first page print after sleep, with my Officejet 8710 bought in Beirut Lebanon.

really diffcilt getting any decent service from them

what do I do?

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem with blurry first page print after sleep, with my Officejet 8710 bought in Beirut Lebanon.

really diffcilt getting any decent service from them

what do I do?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.