Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello

My  10 year old HP laser jet 4250 was set up by an IT person who has left the group. I dont have the user name  and password of the account that controls the printer. IS there a way to reset the username/password  so that I can upgrade firmware etc.

Thanks for your help ..Vivek

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended
You might be able to upgrade the firmware I think there was an easy firmware update utility for that machine which would essentially load the firmware through the print queue.

To reset the machine you would perform the cold reset procedure, on that model I believe you turn off the machine, then turn it back on and press and hold the green button after the memory count begins. Continue holding the button until the three lights on on panel come on and stay on and then release the button and use the arrow keys to go through the listing until you find cold reset and then press the check mark button again. That w ill reset the network settings to so you will need to reload them.

If that doesn't work power off the machine, press and hold the green button and then power on the machine. One method is for the 4200 and the other is for the 4250 and without looking it up I couldn't tell you which is which but it's easy to try both.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.