Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I believe I've found a fix for this, will confirm after a system restart. I was having the same exact issue as the OP, only my Twain was failing and WIA was ok. I tried all the fixes and reinstalled the software several times and ran the scan. The fix that just worked for me was to go to the Services and open up the properties of the WIA, then go to the Log On tab and switch to the Local System Account. Then Save it. I also changed the setting for what happens if WIA fails (made it so that it would try to restart it a few times) but I don't know if that worked.

HP Recommended

System Restarted, still fixed. Ran Windows Fax and Scan and HP Scan was able to open again.

HP Recommended

Same issues as all of the above users, and andysutton2073's solution fixed it.  Would love HP/Microsoft to comment on why this is the solution so we are all educated.

Cheers.

HP Recommended

I used to have an icon on my desk top which would allow me to scan to a file on my desktop.  This has since disappeared.  The only option I have remaining is to scan to a memory device.  This is not workable.  

When I ran the print/scan dr.  It stopped on TWAIN and told me to re-install the software.  I have re-installed 5 times so far and the situation is not being fixed.  

When I find "similar" sounding messages on the support pages, there are links to pages that no longer exist.  

I have quite a few documents that I have to scan to send, and they don't like answers like "my computer chokes on that"

Please Help!

HP Recommended

While I have no idea what the root cause is, the direct solution to all the cm1415fnw printer problems is to get an ethernet cable and plug it into the network.

When I first had the printer, all features and functions worked great over wireless.  Then things changed to a degree similar to everything else you read here and experience yourself.  Unload this, reload that, update this.  Works on Monday, stops working on Tuesday.  Blah blah blah you'll just go crazy.  The simple fix was to run an ethernet cable right into the same router all my home computers are using.  Now I can fax/scan/print with their installed software and zero glitches.  Happy camper, now!

HP Recommended

It's already attached to the network by Cable and I have a USB that goes from the computer to the printer.  It still asks for a USB.  I have re-installed this multiple times.  I have to send documents that require they come from the computer.  Also I have no TWAIN software installed.  I checked and HP is on the list of TWAIN providers but I cannot find the software on the site.  I used to have an Icon on my computer that allowed me to do this quickly and easily.  Why is it so difficult now?

HP Recommended

Hi @chand1958 ,

I see that you are having issues with the HP Scan Software icon missing and the USB connection, the printer is also hardwired by a Ethernet cable. I will do my best to assist you with this issue.

Are you able to print from the computer by the Ethernet connection?

Try and print a hardware self test on the printer to find out if it is a hardware or software issue.

Printing a Configuration Report. Did the test page print?

Download and run the Print and Scan Doctor. It will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it. Find and fix common printer problems using HP diagnostic tools for Windows?

I have provided a document for checking to see if the HP Scan Software was installed and how to scan from the software. Scan from Windows 7 With the Full Feature HP Software for HP LaserJet Multifunction Printers.

Was the HP Scan Software listed under the HP folder?

What happens when you try to scan?

What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor? (did it print or scan, any error messages)

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Tried everything listed here but changning the WIA logon did the trick! 

thank you!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.