Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Interesting - so how do I get a replacement printer ?

I'm still waiting to hit the 'Kudos' button when I get a satisfactory solution - anyone out there to help me ?

Jim

HP Recommended
I called local HP support and they instructed me what to do.
I needed to go through some troubleshooting steps first (nothing that was not discussed here), and then they concluded it must be a hardware issue and offered a replacement.
HP Recommended

In reply to my post here  (Al4U, 05-31-2013 10:10 AM)

Tried a lot .. and finally found a solution.

First/second try:

1. Removed the top-cover

2. Opened the "scanner-part" to be able to see the cartridges

3. Removed all cartridges

4. Disconnected the guide-rail on the right side

5. Unscrewed the cover to the printer mechanics

6. Removed this (careful with the flatcable to the control-panel on the front)

7. Loosend the plastic (transparent) positioning "ruler" (left-side first, then right-side)
     BTW: When you hold this against the light you can see the tiny stripes, used for printer-head positioning.

Careful here, I'm not sure if stains (from fingers, etc) can disturb positioning (I wiped off

my finger stains 😉 afterwards )

8. Carefully removed the 2 springs (I used a straight jaw pliers)

9. Took out the print-head assemby

10. Cleaned the assembly under the water tap using luke-warm water, avoiding to get water on the

printed circuit-board as much as possible.

11. Later I used a syringe to 'gently' spray luke-warm water on each color cartridge ink-entry

and on the print head printing-side.

I the second try I even used 'Spa-red' (clean sparkling mineral water)

12. Carefully dried the print-head assembly

After the second try the black printing worked again. Color failed with the new color cartridges (grr).

Later I noticed I hadn't removed the strip covering the ventilation-hole of each color cartridge ...

For some reason I couldn't get the color printing back online again.

Third try:

1. Ordered cleaning cartridges, one for each color / b&w, total about EUR 20.00 incl shipping:

Cartridges HCB323E XL, HCB324E XL, HCB325E XL and HCN684E XL from 123inkt

2. Had to move cartridge-chips from some old cartridges to the cleaning-cartridges

3. Installed the cartridges

4. Printed testpage =>Got a print with pale colored text. So apparently the heads were clean again

5. Installed the original cartridges again

6. Printed testpage =>Fully operational again ... YES!!

I'll see what tomorrow brings 🙂

Conclusion:

Looking back I don't think the whole (manual) cleaning of the printhead was necessary.

I guess the cleaning cartridges would have cleaned the black printhead too.

Hope this helps at least 1 person

HP Recommended

An interesting procedure ! - Glad you've found a solution. Unfortunately for me the work couldn't wait, so I've replaced the printer despite its young age. A pity - up till now I held HP top of the list for computer quality, but obviously this has now changed. Pity no-one from HP had a solution.

HP Recommended

When black started fading even though the level showed as low rather than empty, I fitted a new cartridge.  Black now does not print at all  (except for a trace of blue)  although the other colours do.  I have been through 3 cleaning cycles and have tried blowing gently to check the vent (ink drops appeared).  Can anyone suggest a solution please?

Ian

HP Recommended

Suggest you don't waste any more time & buy a new printer - unfortunately there's no-one here who has an answer - even the HP employees...   

HP Recommended

Many thanks -I was starting to come to the same conclusion.  However, I don't like things to beat me so that, even if I do replace the printer, I will be tempted to continue trying.  My stubborn nature!!

Ian

HP Recommended

I know this is of no help, but I have just gone through exactly the same experience. Checked everything, vents etc, colour prints fine, done several head cleans which has used up half the ink in the brand new cartridges, still not a spec of black on the paper.

Would I recommend HP to a friend?

HP Recommended

@Jonty1950 wrote:

I know this is of no help, but I have just gone through exactly the same experience. Checked everything, vents etc, colour prints fine, done several head cleans which has used up half the ink in the brand new cartridges, still not a spec of black on the paper.

Would I recommend HP to a friend

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jonty, is your printer still in warranty? If so, I would recommend contacting HP Support as you may require a replacement.
Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I cannot get the black cartidge to work.

All the other colours work fine except the black. I have changed the black cartidge twice. I have tried cleaning as per your HP instructions but with no sucess.

Please advise

Harvey

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.