Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
The plotter has been unplugged and not used for about a week. Today, I plugged the power cord in, switched on the ON/OFF power switch at the rear, then pressed the Power button on the front panel. The plotter started to boot up, the green light was blinking, then everything just stoped, power switched off by itself!!! I tried several times, same thing happened. Anybody knows what's going on?!?
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Are there any beeps or buzzer noises when powering on?  If there are then don't replace anything, and let me know what the beep code is.  What number is displayed on the front panel right before it shuts off again (this will help determine what part is failing)?  Let me know that.

If there are no beeps or numbers on the panel then enter service mode following these steps if you can.

Make sure the printer is switched Off from the power switch on the front of the printer and not from the power switch on the back of the printer.

Hold the Down arrow key and the Cancel key down and switch the printer On using the front Power switch. Wait until you hear one beep (usually after 5 seconds) before releasing all three keys.

Run the Electronics Module test if you can get into service mode:  (if you can't get into service mode then let me know).  Basically you just keep hitting hitting yes to run the test and then when completed you can hit any key to go onto the next test.  The only test that can fail with an error and we can safely ignore is the serial number test.  Any other errors that are reported, please give me the full numeric code.  There are over 20 tests (if I remember correctly) so this will take some time as some of the tests themselves are lengthy.

If you can't get into service mode, there are no beeps and nothing displays on the front panel, then follow these steps:

1. Check that the power cord is connected correctly to the Printer and to the Power Socket.

2. Check that the Power Switch on the back of the Printer is in the On position.

3. Check to see if any of the LEDs on the Power Switch are On .

4. Check that the Front-Panel Cable is correctly connected to the Electronics Module. Also make sure that the Front-Panel cable is not damaged.

5. Replace the CPU Fan.

6. Replace the Power Supply Unit.

insert signature here
HP Recommended

There was one beep but no numbers displayed on front panel when the plotter was powering on, just a lit up screen with a blank rectangular, the green light blinked several times then to red, one more beep, then the power switched off.  I can hear some noises in the back, but not buzzer noises.

Per your suggestions, I held the Down Arrow and Cancel keys and then pressed the Power button to turn on the plotter.  I released all 3 keys after one beep.  Same thing happened: green light blinking, turned red, then power switched off.  Again, there was nothing displayed on front panel, except for a lit up screen with the blank rectangular.

The LED light in the rear of the plotter is yellow when Power Switch is on, it goes to blue (blinking) when I did the above steps, then back to yellow when the plotter failed to power up. 

The power cord is securely connected to the plotter and wall socket. 

Where the Front Panel Cable is located?  Replace CPU fan and Power Supply Unit?  How do I do that?  Does that require a technician?  This plotter is quite new, about one year old as we bought it in December 2007.

HP Recommended

Support for the printer is open until 8pm EST at 1-800-474-6836, hopefully you bought it closer to the end of the month.  Have your receipt and even if you are just a few days out of your warranty they might grant you an extension.  You need parts replaced.  CALL TODAY  (they are closed tomorrow but open on Friday).

Otherwise you'll have to compare prices to get a tech out (it's likely the CPU fan but could be the power supply or emod).

insert signature here
HP Recommended

hi, did u ever fix your problem with your hp z6100 , i went out to a service call today that took a power hit ,the building had a  power outage and when they turned the machine back on it's doing exactly what u described , comes on with the retangular box in the display then shuts off. I thought it was the power supply but it's not , it did'nt fix my problem . I believe it's the electronics module , but i;m not sure , any help is appreciated . Thanx

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.